New system - Which Activation method should I use?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Duckz, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Duckz

Duckz MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2010
    I'm sorry if this question has been asked and answered a million times already. I performed a search and couldn't find anything relevant relating to my question.

I am expecting my parts for a new system within the next day or 2. In which, contains Asus' brand new P6X58D Premium motherboard.

I am presuming because it's brand new, it already has this "SLIC 2.1" that I keep reading about.

I will be installing MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.7.ULTIMATE.RTM.X64.RETAIL.ENGLISH.DVD-WZT, but I also have access to Microsoft.Windows.7.ULTIMATE.x64.Integrated.December.2009.OEM.DVD-BIE.

Firstly, which copy of Windows above, should I install. I'm leaning towards the copy that is completely untouched. Does the BIE release just have a loader intergrated? And do loaders slow down the startup process of your computer?

Secondly, I have already downloaded various Loaders etc. (All latest versions). Which Loader, if any, would be best to use?

And lastely, I've read that the Loaders emulate a SLIC 2.1 bios by loading it onto the RAM during bootup or something like that. Where as the SLIC Mod option adds information to the BIOS itself. Is this correct? Does it actually add information to the BIOS. And if so, can I remove it if I need to later on?

Sorry again for these noob questions :rolleyes:

Maybe a "Noobs look here" thread could be handy :p ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    #2 secr9tos, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  3. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    No, it wont, since its not a OEM-PC mainboard. If you want a SLIC in the BIOS youre going to have to flash a modded one.

And you are right in doing so. Never ever ever use a scene-release or otherwise touched image. Use original MS images only!

Correct, and no, a loader wont touch your BIOS. And yes, most if not all of the ones supported on this site have an option to uninstall. DAZs is probably the most advanced right now, so you might want to try this one first. He is also here to answer any questions in case you run into any trouble...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Duckz

Duckz MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Thanks very much for your help.

5. Andrew180

Andrew180 MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2009
    yeah i would also go with untouched ISO + (if u don't want to risk) Daz's loader or Hazar's RemoveWAT. but i would surely go with BIOS mod+cert+key.

6. Duckz

Duckz MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2010
    #6 Duckz, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
    (OP)
  7. Stool

Stool MDL Junior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    slic+ cert+oem key

8. The.Watcher

The.Watcher MDL Junior Member

Apr 7, 2008
    #8 The.Watcher, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  9. Duckz

Duckz MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2010
    I probably won't have the Modded BIOS done before I install Windows. Is this a problem?

During Windows install, do I install without a CD Key as stated in the Repository thread, or do I need to install Windows with a specific key, seeing as how I will be adding the information to the BIOS?

10. Andrew180

Andrew180 MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2009
    #10 Andrew180, Jan 6, 2010
  11. billbo

billbo MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2010
    #11 billbo, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
    using the loader process, clarification

so to further clarify, when going from xp on a purchased asus mb (which does not have a slic entry) using the loader method ... at the point in the install process where you're prompted to enter a product key ... what does the os require you do? ... would that be to enter the 90 trial activation key?

then ... i'm guessing this win 7 loader only works on a win 7 os after the installation process has been completed?

if so it appears you enter your respective mb info and ... it creates a valid product key for you?

regarding the potential bios mod ... i'm running the asus p5k ... can someone point me to one of the appropriate posts on upgrading it while i continue scouring thru the posts ... just to verify that i end up looking at the correct info, would be greatly appreciated thks.

12. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #12 Rosco, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
    Don't install ANY key during install - no matter what type of activation you choose later including your legal key if you have one.

ALWAYS - try before you buy!!!

Activating later is easy and there are plenty of help references on these forums.

You can rearm Windows 3 times by opening an Administrator Command Prompt and entering -

slmgr -rearm

If you do this every thirty days you can run Windows legally for 120 Days without activating.

The loader does 3 things

1. It sets itself up to run before Windows and provides a fake SLIC table which windows reads during bootup.
    2. It installs a certificate to match the SLIC table.
    3. It installs an OEM key to match the version of Windows installed eg Ultimate.

With these 3 things properly installs Windows "thinks" it is installed legally on an OEM machine and activates itself offline and never refers to the online activation servers.

13. billbo

billbo MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2010
    having never used a loader i'm pretty sure i'm not quite clear on what it does or not quite understanding what i'm reading about what they do to activate the os. can you shed some light on what part it plays in activating the os assuming you don't have a purchased key?

14. Bundy714

Bundy714 MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2010
    #14 Bundy714, Jan 7, 2010
  15. Duckz

Duckz MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Are you speaking to billbo? Who kindly hijacked my thread :p

Anyway, all information is good information. I will continue to read of threads and keep up to date with what is going on around the community. But like you said, modded bios slic is it's the most permanant.

16. billbo

billbo MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2010
    #16 billbo, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
    lol, wise guy

exactly! never encountered these oem issues before ... it sounds like the loader simulates the slic update in the bios(?) ... rather than learning thru painful trial and error approach i'm trying to understand what i'm going to encounter along the way while my pc is disabled during the process ... like they say, sometimes you don't know what it is you don't know. your explanation hits the nail on the head, thanks!! as for 'hijacking' thread comment ... lighten up Francis :)

17. Duckz

Duckz MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2010
    #17 Duckz, Jan 9, 2010
    (OP)
  18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #18 urie, Jan 9, 2010