New 'thanks/like' system how to...

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by apex2000, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I don't get your problem. When you say thank you in real life can you 'delete' it? Nobody preserves you from to regret things in life....and here it's 'just' a forum. To delete is rather artificial and to press it by accident....I don't buy off that from you. But it's up to you.

Btw: The old system has had the ability to delete thanks, but the counters remained unaffected until I ran update counters.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I've actually pressed thanks by accident when browsing from my phone, since you're scrolling around the screen with your fingers. I ended up thanking a spammer, but of course I revoked it.

The thing I'm seeing talked about more is likes. So far a few people seem to agree with my view on them. That being that when you like a post it's saying "thanks for the post!", so likes ends up being no different than thanks. It's just a different word.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #23 timesurfer, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    You can't thank someone unless you like them hence in contemporary, partial, temporary logic you'd have to be the type of person that likes what he indeed does not like :p...lol

I don't blame you since our feelings are infinite and not as Buddhism might imply "fixed" or "irrelevant"

Everyone has fallen out or in love hence the relationship between two parties could over "time" could vary or differ from "time" to "time" hence this new system does not allow change of heart and thus is consequentially mechanical in nature :eek:

"Real life" is subjective to the individual user or experiencer of their own personal life while acknowledging an individuals unique variables that they themselves perceive from hence to lock MDL users into "concrete" opinions or feelings is to "limit" or confine users into making uncertain and non-deliberate choices as to how they feel regarding posts and their opinion about them over "time"

It shouldn't be that hard to allow unthanks should it Yen :rolleyes:

Really what hasn't been thought of or yet to be discussed is where is the not-like or not thanks

I only comment to validate true awareness acknowledging both sides of the coin not just partial understandings of how reality or participation of reality works

Partial = always solving problems eternally :negative:...lol
    Complete = no problems to solve as every moment or part of creation contains the whole and thus is complete unto itself ;)

p.s. Clicking on one's own thank/like takes user to top of page which is actually kinda cool :biggrin:

:shisha:

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It's not a question of to allow, it means efforts in programming..lol.

5. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #25 timesurfer, Dec 1, 2013
    :roflmao: lol

6. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I've modded the plugin so that thanks/likes can be removed :) I've sent it to you via a private message Yen.

7. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
  8. MysTikAL3

MysTikAL3 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2013
    #28 MysTikAL3, Dec 1, 2013
    I like the new system Yen...great work! :worthy:

Is it feasible to add the option for members to turn on or off thanks/likes notifications in account general settings (or elsewhere) without too much trouble?
    If a member only wants PM notifications, the default auto thanks/likes notifications are distracting, and can become annoying always having to check if the notifications is a PM or not.

Thanks for the new features you've added Yen...:biggrin:

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  10. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    I personally like of the notifications.

Since the PMs also have the confirmation box, it is just like a friend or new message received on the member profile... ;)

11. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    This new "thank/like system/hidden options" became more confusing than windows 8

How can I skip it? :biggrin:

12. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    I think the same way :rofl6:

13. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
    Thanks and Likes.
    ;)

14. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Overall, I'm not a fan of how there is a (rather large imo) table below EVERY post for 2 simple links / buttons.

Look at how much empty space is already on the "Reply" "Reply With Quote" bar - couldn't the two buttons be moved to that bar instead?

I dunno. I think the old system was fine but I'm cool with whatever.

15. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I'd blame the plugin author for that one. He added a lot of features from the older plugin we were using, but he made them features require a premium license.

16. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Yen mentioned a poll for enabling/disabling the notifications thing, did the poll get started yet? I'd like notifications for PM's only, not every time someone has clicked like/thanks.

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    No the poll has not started..we think about to program some useful features into it by ourself....

18. =)(=

=)(= Guest

Seems they moved it now :D

19. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Go to settings at the top right and then look for "Post Thanks". The very first option that it displays will allow you to disable notifications for thanks and likes.

20. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011