New UEFI ACPI MSDM?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dancerjx, Jul 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. dancerjx

dancerjx MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2016
    #1 dancerjx, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    I've read Yen's post about how a new MSDM is created at the factory floor.

According to my understanding, a hardware hash is created and submitted to the central MS servers for future use.

I have a HP Win 8.1 machine that is now running Win 10.

Any chance to put the Win 10 key in the UEFI ACPI MSDM location?

Supposedly, the HP BIOS Configuration Utility can put in a new MSDM key using its REPSET functionality. I was able to use BiosConfigUtilty.exe to Unlock the Manufacturing Programming Mode.

I also see that SAFUWIN.EXE /OAD can be used to delete OEM Activation Key, Can SAFUWIN be used to put in the Win 10 key?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why would you need to do this? The 8.1 MSDM is probably valid for 8.x/10 anyway and will be shown as HWID/DL activation.

3. dancerjx

dancerjx MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2016
    I upgraded from 8.1 Home to Win 10 Pro.

So, when I do a clean install, it defaults to Home. Plus it's nice to have the Pro key in the MSDM.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If Pro now has a HWID, it will be valid for the lifetime of the hardware and SKU.

To avoid the auto sku selection, based on the MSDM, at clean install, you only need to use an ei.cfg inside the ISO:\Sources folder of the consumer ISO, this one will offer you to select the desired SKU at boot:
    Code:
    [Channel]
    _Default
    [VL]
    As soon as Pro is re-installed and connects to the msft servers, it will get the HWID activation back by default.

To me this seems to be a much safer solution compared to tinkering with bios'es :)