New WHQL signed nvidia drivers say unsigned - not working

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by OgreVorbis, Mar 29, 2021.

1. OgreVorbis

OgreVorbis MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2020
    So I'm stuck with an old 2018 driver on my Windows 7 system cause none of the newer ones will run. They install perfectly fine, but on reboot they don't activate saying that the driver is not signed even though it is. These drivers are meant for Windows 7 BTW.

I'm using Windows 7 x64 SP1 build 7601

I suspect maybe there is some update or patch I need to run, but I don't know which one it is. I don't use automatic updates in windows at all, so...

Has anyone else encountered this? I have tried disabling driver signature enforcement, but it makes no difference. I have disabled and signed drivers before, but in this case, the nvidia driver is so large with so many files, that I don't think I could figure how to manually sign it. Plus, that's just treating the symptom of the problem. The real problem is that this driver IS 100% singed and meant for 7, yet it still won't work.

2. CaptainSpeleo

CaptainSpeleo MDL Addicted

May 24, 2020
    OgreVorbis:
    I'm running Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit in several Dell minitowers which is up-to-date to March 2021.
    They all have a NVIDIA (GeForce GT 730, GeForce GTX 645, GeForce GT 1030) graphics card.
    Sticking with graphics driver version 391.35 (released in March 2018) is what works best for me.

3. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    If all 3 are Kepler-based, then yes, 391.35 all the way. The GT 1030, tho, COULD stand to benefit from a driver update if it's the original GP108-based Pascal version(there's a knockoff GK107 Kepler version which even requires a 6-pin connector for additional power).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Judging by the DDR4 memory and the 20W TDP, yes, it is the GP108 card, but that DDR4 memory is a waste. You should have bought the GDDR5 model. Anyway, on that particular card you could install a current driver with no worries, just use nvcleanstall or nvslimmer to be able to install the actual relevant driver bits without the geforce experience bloatware(it's a fairly low-end gpu anyways so the features GFE offers are irrelevant/unavailable). I'll end my offtopic here, thread was originally meant for other purpose.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. OgreVorbis

OgreVorbis MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2020
    Not on the system right now, so I can't check the exact update, but I do remember installing some code signing update. I'll check if this is the one I installed. Thanks.

Yep, that's the one I'm using. It seems to be working fine, but I'd like to keep it more up to date if possible. The card is a GTX 1050 Ti.

OK, I will do that. Thank you.
    My OS is super NLitted, so I only intend to install the updates I really need instead of using automatic updates.

6. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    @OgreVorbis If you don't mind me asking, what CPU are you running?