newbie nightmare

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by steviec, Oct 9, 2008.

1. steviec

steviec MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2008
    good evening people firstly let me explain im fairly computer retarded so may need answers in words using no more than 4 letters so big tut and shake of the head all round.
    Anyway I have an issue with the audio out of my pc, it has an asus m2m sli mobo with the digital s/pdif audio output RCA not optical (thats for another day!!!) my problem is I can't get any audio though my rear speakers, i've gone into the set up thing and there is a little play button that sends a tst signal round the 5 speakers and the sub woofer right and left front and centre speakers work fine but the rear right and left comes through the front left and there is also no sub woofer output. I'm running XP mce and i've found in the set up area there, there is a setting for s/pdif click on it save it and it reverts back to 2 channels not the digital audio output. I don't think this is anything to do with the whole speaker issue but another issue. Can anyone please help 24 cans of stella to anyone that can solve it!!!
    P.S. anyone know where I can buy the optical S/Pdif add on for my mobo?

many thanks

steve

2. steviec

steviec MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2008
    excellent

Well guess I feel better nobdy has the answer so not me been a numpty

thanks to all who read

i'll drink the beer myself mmmmmmm

3. jenco

jenco MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2008
    have you tried upgrading audio drivers from asus 4 your mb ? :)

4. Lord Kalvan

Lord Kalvan MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2008
    I am using vista on this machine but I recall seeing in device setup I think, on my lap top in control panel where you would tell windows what kind of sound system you were using, stereo, sub woofer, 5.1 etc.