Newbie Question- Virtual Images of Existing Physical Drive - Activation Problem

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by 160thehaven, Apr 23, 2013.

1. 160thehaven

160thehaven MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2013
    Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before, new to virtualization.
    Have started to take VHD images of system PC's deployed for our range of customers. Would like to use these images for troubleshooting the systems installed at the site and checking the settings etc.

Scenario is we install a PC with our software on it at customer site. If the customer rings with a problem (remote access not an option) we go to our Hyper V system where there is a replica machine stored on it- we boot it up and can use it to help us troubleshoot.

Problem i have is that the PC's are installed from ELO/other PC manufactures etc with XP SP3. When i try to use the VHD (taken off the physical machine with disk2vhd) windows activation is required- therefore I am not able to use the Virtual PC without activating it which is not cost effective.

I have used the method to reset activation (in safe mode) to allow to boot into XP but this will only last for 120 days for the trial to run out.

From what i can determine there is no way to use these VHD's as virtual PC without purchasing an additional license, is this correct?

Thanks

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Mod the Hyper-V BIOS (in a sticky), activate XP as OEM with VLK and OEMBIOS changer. ..(another sticky in XP section)
    Job done

3. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Bad Troubleshoot strategy, Those images will act as reference point only. Images will help to simulate clicks only. How those image will reflect current problem & changes made to real OS after you create image?

4. 160thehaven

160thehaven MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2013
    thanks are these the two threads?

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/6077-VLK-and-OEMBIOS-changer
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/2829-Can-the-Hyper-V-BIOS-be-modded

can this be done if using the VMware option of virtualization?