newer nvidia driver request

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mrnoody, Feb 8, 2023.

1. mrnoody

mrnoody MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2019
    greetings,

Is there a newer and working driver for win7 than 474.11?

or can somebody mod a newer gameready driver and upload somewhere?

I`m having rtx 2060 super asus rog.

many thanks!

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Sorry, haven't You forgotten by any chance that it came out on 2022.12.20. How much newer do you looking or need?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The 5xx drivers are out of the question, as they are DCH-only. There is no Store infrastructure in Windows 7, so, this would never work.

4. mrnoody

mrnoody MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2019
    since Carlos Detweiller stated that 5xx drivers are out-of-question, means we'll never have newere drivers, and we'll need stornger GPUS and or optimised settings from now on. or at least, that's I`m thinking for now.

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @mrnoody
    Well, yes you have to think how long this old computer will satisfy you. Maybe you really need a newer one, but you have to make that decision yourself.
    It can be assumed that with using Windows 7 is getting more complicated every day and what can't be hidden, Windows 10 will soon be also only history.
    So there is something to think about so as not to make wrong decisions.
    I wish you good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mrnoody

mrnoody MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2019
    using Windows 7 is getting more complicated every day

dunno what to say. edge just passed 300 virus test becomming the safest browser out of box. the security will be released until at least 2025. will be security updates for windows, nvidia, bios. 15% of asia still using win7, more than win11 for now. secureboot, physical TPM. some dx12 games receive win7 support via proton vk. cp.2077 1.61 runs on win7 directly from folder. at this moment win7 support enough untill 24 december 2024 but the lack of nvidia driver could be the final nail in the coffin.

7. CaptainSpeleo

CaptainSpeleo MDL Addicted

May 24, 2020
    Since your computer is running Windows 7 64-bit, my advice is to do a clean driver install of version 472.12 and then stick with it.

8. jiafei2427

jiafei2427 MDL Member

Nov 26, 2020
  9. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
  10. CaptainSpeleo

CaptainSpeleo MDL Addicted

May 24, 2020
    472.12 is the last game-ready driver for Windows 7 64-bit.

You may have display issues with the 474.30 security-related driver.

11. jiafei2427

jiafei2427 MDL Member

Nov 26, 2020
    #13 jiafei2427, Apr 1, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    The WHQL issues.

12. FuzzleSnuz

FuzzleSnuz MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2020
    #14 FuzzleSnuz, Apr 3, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    Nvidia's enormous driver package is more modular than people realize. While we can't gleam too much information on its engineering here from the pov of end users, it is all but certain that their sources are in a single tree, and targeting WDDM 1.x versus say WDDM 2 or 3 is highly modular wrt the built files. Standard stuff for a monstrous company with a monstrous driver package. Afaik, the effort necessary to get branches R495 and later to run on 7 or 8 is limited to a rather small selection of the driver components, namely the usermode components that interface with DXGI and then whatever components might be closely coupled with those internally.

DCH is a heap of bureaucratic s**t but at the end of the day there is zero difference between the DLLs in the DCH versus the "standard" driver packages. The only difference is the manner of the driver installation, i.e. how Windows accepts and manages the driver, where conformance to the DCH rules is purely done through the driver's inf files and the removal of the nvidia control panel and its coinstaller. Any DCH driver package can be converted into a "standard" one by modifying the infs accordingly. Sign them with a personal cert and pin it, or enable test singing and use a wdk test cert, then install them. This is not trivial, but it can be done.

The best example I have to demonstrate the modularity of the Nvidia driver is OptiX. Nvidia OptiX is a very little known (to end users) piece of the Nvidia driver and is of the many 200 MB+ plus components of non-optional, rarely-used bloat (massive DLLs + also a large neural network image) that are responsible for increasing the driver to its outrageous current day size. It has been included standard in all driver releases for the last many years, ever since the idea of the graphics "driver" stopped being a straightforward WDDM driver and instead became an all-in-one toolkit for everything that might possibly need the GPU. In a nutshell, OptiX provides a complete radiosity toolkit that runs entirely in cuda and is a dependency of several modern day offline renderers, such as SolidAngle's Arnold. Some (very) new games use it as well, often in (bad) ways that are analogous to crushing a fly with a steamroller.

So what's the deal with OptiX? Well, OptiX releases occur 4 times a year and are tightly coupled with the Nvidia driver branches. Branch R470 (the last branch to release for 7, 8 and 8.1) includes OptiX 7.3. I am a user of Arnold and everything was fine until Arnold started requiring OptiX 7.4, which was released in branch R495. And of course, R495 only has releases that are OOB compatible with bugcrash 10 and 11. This sent me down the Nvidia driver rabbit hole, and after a lot of research and testing, I ultimately came to the discover that getting OptiX 7.4 to run on Windows 7 with R470 was a lot easier than I had anticipated. Download any R495 release for bugcrash 10, extract the files, and copy the OptiX 7.4 files over the OptiX 7.3 ones (in which live in system32). Then do the same for the cuda ptx language compiler and the mysterious & massive raytracing usermode tier0 library. Don't forget wow64 as well if your program is 32 bit. I have done this process 5 times now, first with R495 to get OptiX 7.4, then with R510 to get OptiX 7.4.1, then with R520 to get OptiX 7.6, then with R525 to get OptiX 7.7. I also do a similar process for NVSMI, where I am using files from the R460 driver since Nvidia broke NVSMI in R470 and they couldn't be assed to fix it before their Sept 2021 cutoff date for NT 6. So, for the last year, I have been running a frankenstein monster of an Nvidia driver that starts with an R470 base but has older components from R460 and the absolute latest components from R525 running just fine on my Windows 7 system. I have been pleasantly surprised by how stable this is. In the last year, I have not experienced a single crash originating in the Nvidia driver. Every application I have runs correctly.

I am not intimately familiar with WDDM or DXGI or even the WDK. But OptiX is a case study that demonstrates that at least one bleeding-edge component of the Nvidia driver is not dependent on bugcrash 10, despite the propoganda from M$ and Nvidia that says otherwise. If this is true for OptiX, it is likely true for other components. This is why I believe with some confidence that any effort to get R495 or later running on NT 6 will be easier than it appear at outlook. The biggest hurdle is WDDM and DXGI 2.0, which means either 1) shimming a 2.0 interface that does its best to conform to what 1.x can do, or 2) finding a buried 1.x interface that might still remain in the R495+ drivers (fingers crossed). These are not easy tasks, but they are much less intimidating than anticipating a need to create a compatibility layer that reconciles every single one of the 100+ DLLs in the Nvidia driver. Alternatively, we can also tackle the problem from the other end, i.e. do what Microsoft failed to do and get DXGI 2.0 working on NT 6. Far easier said than done.... But then we don't have to do any monkeying with the Nvidia driver and R495+ should run with extremely minimal adjustments, if any (after un-f**king the infs ofc to turn it from DCH into "standard")

Also, on a sidenote, since the OP seems to be interested in getting newer drivers for games, not for professional software, I should also note that many games have a blind version check for the driver and will abort if the version number isn't high enough. Many of these games also don't actually use any of the features in the latest driver that they claim to "need", so they will run just fine on R470 or even a driver as old as branch R340. You can spoof the driver version reported by the Nvidia driver to get these games to run if they are complaining about driver version. Even some professional software does the blind version check, too... Arnold started doing this, so I now spoof my driver version to be whatever it complains that it "needs".

Also, also, check your version numbers. The DCH reckoning did not begin with "5xx".
    R495 is the first release to use DCH and only be made available by nvidia for bugcrash 10 and newer, not R510+. Any talk about getting post R470 drivers to run on NT 6 should with start R495, not R510+. You should be looking at 496.13 before anything else. Starting with R510+ is at least two branch jumps instead of one and thus the number of headaches and problems squared.

13. FuzzleSnuz

FuzzleSnuz MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2020
  14. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
  15. gooface

gooface MDL Junior Member

Aug 29, 2013
    how you do that?

16. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Upload needed driver package and I can sign it with XP2ESD certificate. So then you import certificate, reboot and then install driver.
    And then is no need to disable TESTSIGNING in BCD (In theory, I tried this with other drivers, but never with GPU driver).

17. gooface

gooface MDL Junior Member

Aug 29, 2013