Newest AMD driver don't work.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Enzo Matrix, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix Guest

I downloaded the newest Linux drivers for my AMD video card and it's for 14.04 so I installed it on 17.3 Mint. But when I restart the PC it says X.org has failed to load and I just get a terminal prompt. I want to see if it will give my video card a boost in performance. The PC is less than a year old (since I bought it new) and I can't seem to use the newest kernel, install the latest Ubuntu, or even use an updated video card driver, not to mention the open source drivers that seem to only work from time to time, and no longer support my display properly when switching to a proprietary driver then back to open source. I only use the drivers now from driver manager.

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #2 EFA11, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix Guest

My PC is x64. I noticed the link is for x86.

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #4 EFA11, Feb 13, 2016
  5. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    #5 hearywarlot, Feb 13, 2016
    Hello Enzo Matrix,

It would be nice to know which AMD graphics card you use so it it will be easier to search the solution for the incompatibility.
    Although unlikely, some very newer graphic card may not be supported yet by the binary FGLRX driver by AMD from the repository of Ubuntu or just contain weird flaws.

If you do not know the card yet, please the output of this command:
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Also if you have not done yet, check your current system log output using:
    Code:
    dmesg -l err
    dmesg -l warn
    Also check your current and old log files at '/var/log/Xorg.(*).log.old' and '/var/log/syslog'.

Canonicial also has a troubleshoot for Ubuntu about AMD drivers, might be nice to check out: wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/VideoDriverDetection

Hope this may help you futher (^_^)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix Guest

Thanks alot, I will try it when I'm using linux again, the drivers (proprietary) that are included with ubuntu etc. give me screen tearing, and when I enable the screen tearing disable option in the ccc, the videos are then running slowly.