NEWSFACTOR: Snow Leopard Gets Ready To Pounce on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rite, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Rite

Rite MDL Member

Sep 26, 2009
  2. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    More bulls**t from Apple...

So in other words.. You have to buy a mac, pay $100 for a class to learn how to transfer your files?
    But moving from Windows XP is so complex!! /s

3. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    But the actual fact is.. Win7 has surpassed Mac's current OS :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. straha

straha MDL Junior Member

Oct 15, 2009

...and to also be told that certain programs you may currently use will not work unless you buy the emulators and have those installed, and even then they may not work, and even if they do, your settings likely won't transfer...

5. LimitsX

LimitsX MDL Member

May 16, 2009
    Haha Apple is BS.

Their least computer is at $1200 *For canadian consumers*. Thats without tax.

Vs. a Win 7 its hell of a cheap. I'd pay $200 than $1000+ tax.

Apple is such a cry baby for advertising like that lol.

6. NiHiLisT

NiHiLisT MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I like and have both of them, 7 and a Hackintosh on my normal hardware.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Mtthwpez

Mtthwpez MDL Junior Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Ahhhh, always makes me lol when I hear of apple clutching at straws trying to get people to buy thier overpriced crap! :D

After all, apple is only an os now really :p

8. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    In my Country, to find somebody that uses a Mac is the same as to find a needle in the hayloft!:p

Windows 7 with certainty crossed Apple in many senses, I would never change for a Mac.

The price is already important, because the most sensitive part of the man's body is his pocket.:D

9. santoshcoolhere

santoshcoolhere MDL Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Windows 7 Rocks.........!!! The main difference between these both Os'es is Windows provides us with more apps......we can do whatever with out hardware if we use Windows whereas if we use a MAC, out resources will be limited.

10. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    completely true, my pocket is very sensitive and neither is deep, with my girl's hands in it all the time. I love building my own pc and none be able to do so with a MAC is a huge downfall for me. Windows does have its bugs but is like any other program and so does MAC which it requires so much work to move onto a MAC. im a pc and i will stay a pc.

11. gr8trstuff

gr8trstuff MDL Novice

May 6, 2008
    Apple is old news...

I'm one of those geeks that likes to build his own pc. I spent about 3-4k on my custom built PC. I went onto apple's website and configured something less because they didn't have identical hardware it was 8k. I just close the browser and laughed. The only thing they have going for them is their iPhone which is becoming old and boring, all my friends got them and now are moving to winmo 6.5 devices because they actually need to get work done at the office rather than downloading app after app after app to get basic stuff done.

12. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Windows 7 will bring about the death of crApple.

13. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    The Snow Leopard beta has officially started I guess. Lots of bugs reported so far.

14. Tlinux

Tlinux MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    So let me get this straight.

Apple wants Windows XP User to
    1) Buy new hardware vs Upgrading hardware
    (Couldn't they just buy a new Windows box also then?)

2) Pay $99 to have them transfer their Data
    (Sorry you can't open or use your data as you don't have applications to open them)

3) Most home users I would guess have a small library of Games also. Will apple give them free copies that will run on their New Computer ?

15. asthepenguinflies

asthepenguinflies MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    #15 asthepenguinflies, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
    Without attempting to start a flame war, some of this is just plain ridiculous.

Yes Apples are more expensive, and yes Windows 7 is much nicer than previous versions of windows. But think about the people Apple is talking to in this sort of advertising... People still using XP, who are afraid of upgrading to Windows 7. When you talk about program/file compatibility between XP and Windows 7, and then XP and Snow Leopard, there isn't much of a difference for these sort of technophobes.

I deal with people like this every day, they use Microsoft Works 2000, barely understand that their email is stored online unless they set up an email client to fetch it for them (which they don't understand how to do), and they in general don't know that there are files on their machines other than the ones they can see on the desktop.

So really, for these bungling idiots, Snow Leopard is no more terrifying than Windows 7.

Also, lets be honest here, I've been using both OSX and Windows for the last few years for different things. I have a homebuilt DVR that will be running Windows 7 within 24 hours, and a Macbook laptop that I use for everything else (dual booting Snow Leopard and Windows 7). I've only once ran into file incompatibility between OSX and Windows, and it was with microsoft ebooks, which blow/blew in the first place.

Note: The virtual XP only comes with Professional and Ultimate, and these people won't be buying either of those, so don't think that's an out.

16. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    When I can install OS X on a PC platform without hacking it to make it run then I may buy it. I am not paying a premium for Apple hardware.

17. straha

straha MDL Junior Member

Oct 15, 2009
    #17 straha, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    Here is the commercial I want to see...

PC vs Mac

Mac: See how easy it is to upgrade to Snow Leopard?
    PC: Only if your computer will run Windows.

edit - upon rereading...it made more sense when I first wrote it...the idea is that Snow Leopard runs only on the intel based mac's, so upgrading may not be possible for some (many) users.

18. Mtthwpez

Mtthwpez MDL Junior Member

Jan 29, 2008
    The only way apple could make some real headway against microsoft is by releasing osx to work on any pc!

The likelyhood of that ever happening......Nil! :p

19. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I know that Apple likes to trounce the standards and level of functionality card, but opening up OS X to OEMs as long as they follow a set of standards would make the market share double in less than a year and then Windows would have a real competitor.

Imagine if you could get a Dell with OS X (not saying Dell is great but it is a big OEM), or Windows or both?

It is a no brainer you come out on top either way.

20. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    good point, I can't put snow leopard on my G4 eMac... but Windows 7 runs nicely on my old Pentium 4 machine.