NewSid

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Spreng, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Spreng

Spreng MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2008
    Hi guys

Does anyone have NewSid (old Winternals freebie)

They have pulled it.. and don't trust the websites that say they have it.

Anyone have it in their toolkits?

thanks in advance

2. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
    what to look?

Digital Signatures is ok

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Ditto.
    It's Mark's. Mark Russinovich, google it.

4. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
  5. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
  6. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    "Makes no sense and is not needed", well....

I use a Windows app from my IPTV provider to watch TV channels, when I install it for the first time I have to call them to activate it.
    I found out where the activation files are stored and saved them so I could re activate the app in the future without having to call them again but after I clean installed Windows and copied over the files the app didn't want to activate because the serial number has changed.

I thought it has something with hardware id to do but today I did some tests on a VM and found out that if I use the same SID on the newly installed Windows as on the one where I first installed the app then it activates after I copy over the activation files.

I also noticed now that I can backup Chrome cookies and password file and restore them to a new Windows installation which I could not do before.

Inside the folder "C:\Users\*YourUsersname*\Application Data\Microsoft\Protect\*SIDFolder*" there is one or more files, if you copy the file(s) over to the newly installed Windows after changing SID to be the same as on the old Windows installation then you can just copy over your Chrome cookies and password and they will be encrypted so Chrome can use them. That is otherwise not possible since Chrome (Firefox too I think) encrypts those files and they are tied to the current user account Chrome is used on.

I do believe that the Username and Password if you use one must be same on the new install as on the old.

What I noticed also is that for the IPTV software to activate I only had to change SID but didn't have to copy over the file inside the SID folder but for Chrome files to get decrypted I had to copy over the file also.

7. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    #11 dhjohns, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008