NIC Teaming Question

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Leica, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    I want to connect my PC to my server in the fastest possible way. The server will have RAID and an SSD and I want to access these and get the best transfer rate.

At present via ethernet (which is the bottleneck) I am getting a solid 110MB/s, which is the limit of gigabit ethernet.

So I am looking into NIC Teaming or Link Aggregation 802.3ad. If I use four ethernet ports on both the PC and server and use a smart switch then will I be able to get data transfer rates from my server at up to 440MB/s? I certainly hope so!

I can't afford 10 gigabit ethernet so this is my only option.

Thanks.

2. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Yes I know how Server 2012 supports it in software. Shame Windows 8 doesn't.

Anyway I would be happy with anything over 1Gbps in data transfer rates. BUT this is what I cannot find out after reading about it so much on the internet. Is this possible?

Can two computers using say two gigabit ethernet cards in teaming mode exchange data to each other at more than 1Gbps?

I know for a fact that one computer (say a server) can provide more than >1Gbps to a number of other computers. For example a server with 4 NIC cards can provide up to 4Gbps in total to a minimum of 4 computers. I fear that to each one computer it can only provide a maximum of 1Gbps even if that computer itself had teaming going. Is this true???

Why is this so hard to find??? :(
    If it is true then it is a disaster and I am stuck at slow speeds for my storage :(

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Just bad luck then...
    You want faster storage do external DAS eSATA

4. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Bad is when I know the answer! I am still to find out. That is the problem.

The storage needs to be far away in another room and it needs to be shared.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    The answer was given to you

2 x 1Gb team does NOT equal 1 x 2Gb link (if such thing existed). Period

And what could you possibly NOT be able to do with teamed NICs?

I have 1000+ users using this config (on 4 teamed nics) & never had a problem yet...

6. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    That is what I feared. So a link between any two computers regardless of how many NICs they each have in a team, cannot exceed the speed of one individual NIC?

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Already answered by link in post #2, if you don't understand, then read few more times...