No change after flashing modified BIOS (Lenovo E430)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by entropy, Jun 16, 2013.

1. entropy

entropy MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2013
    I am a noob for BIOS modding, so bear with me. I am attempting to add a WiFi card to the whitelist for Lenovo E430. Here is what I did:
    1. Downloaded ISO for latest BIOS update from Lenovo, version H0ET92WW (2.52).
    2. Used geteltorito.pl and dd (in Linux) to transfer disk image to a bootable USB stick.
    3. Used Andy's Phoenix Tool v2.14 (in Windows) to extract the modules from $0AH0000.FL1.
    4. Modified the whitelist using a hex editor. Also for good measure (on my second attempt), I modified the error message that gets displayed for unauthorized cards, just to see if my changes actually took (they didn't).
    5. The DOS flash tool didn't want to flash the same BIOS version, so I first downgraded to previous version, then flashed my modified version. I think there is a way to disable version check with flags, but I didn't want to risk guessing command line flags, and just used the automatic interface that was on the boot disk.
    6. My modifications didn't seem to have any effect. In particular, I didn't see the modifications I made to the error message. That message string only appears once in any of the extracted modules, and I for sure modified it. I even copied the $0AH0000.FL1 back off the boot disk and extracted with Phoenix Tools again to make sure my changes were there.

So, what's the deal? How is it that my modification didn't seem to have any effect? Is it possible that there is something still blocking in the *.FL2 file (which I hear is for the embedded controller)? There are a number of *.PAT files on the boot disk. Are these patches that could somehow be masking my changes? Also, is my way of going about this inadvisable and dangerous?

Note: there have been requests for whitelist removal for the E430 in this forum, but they are all for very old versions of the BIOS (which I don't think I could downgrade to) or else they gave people flash errors and anyways are broken links. At least I didn't get any errors while flashing.