No keyboard or mouse after Windows loads

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by flyboynm, Sep 11, 2017.

1. flyboynm

flyboynm MDL Novice

May 1, 2011
    I have a problem that I had before but cannot remember how I fixed it before. Windows will boot up fine. As soon as the system hits the desktop, mouse and keyboard do not work. They work in Safe Mode however and in BIOS. That tells me it is a device driver issue. It is a Clevo P157SM and doesn't have a "special" driver so I am using the p/s2 keyboard driver and the optical mouse driver but neither work. I have deleted the PCI bus system device and rebooted to get it to work (forces system to reload all drivers) and it works until it gets to the desktop. As soon as it hits desktop, it dies out again.

Any suggestions?

2. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Try figure out what was the last thing you did or happened before it went out like that. I suspect program conflict since something loaded upon landing on desktop and stopped the devices. Check Services.msc and Startup program list for anything odd in safemode.

3. flyboynm

flyboynm MDL Novice

May 1, 2011
    The last thing I did was run Ninite to install 2 web browsers and a few other standard applications. Nothing shows in services.msc or startup that shouldn't be there.

4. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Uninstall keyboard and mouse in device manager and let windows reinstall using only MS drivers. Not sure if that is what you did when you say 'PCI bus system' but that's the last resort from me if disabling 3rd party apps services and startup didn't help. Windows reinstall might be needed.

Someone else might have better ideas.

5. flyboynm

flyboynm MDL Novice

May 1, 2011
    Yes, I did all of those things. This was just a new reinstall that started to act funky after I did the Ninite installer. Weird part is that it works fine in safe mode. :(

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    would it not be easier to use Revo Uninstaller to get rid of the registry keys ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Not really!! If you ever had used Registrar, you would know, how many entries would be left!

And, personally, I'm not a friend for to use 3.party Uninstallers! I didn't have found any Uninstaller which will remove everything related to an app which was placed into the system by man Installer Apps! To really get out everything, and editing by hand is the way to go! Keep in mind, nearly all software, which will be installed by an installer apps, will install more than the really needed entries, which would be left by using to uninstall the apps again!