No left click on date/time in taskbar

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by PinPAD, Aug 24, 2015.

1. PinPAD

PinPAD MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2015
    Hey guys, I've now done about 10 painless upgrades to Windows 10 on various machines running Win 7 and 8.1, 32 and 64-bit, but on my main machine I cannot get the calendar popup appearing when I left-click on the date&time in the task bar.
    Left click on other task bar icons works as expected, just not on date&time.
    It's not end-of-the-world stuff, but it is bloody annoying, as I am often trying to quick access the calendar.
    So far, I haven't been able to find anything useful in Google searches.
    Does anyone have any clues on how to fix this?:worthy:

2. sunberg

sunberg MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Just to be sure, click on Search icon and Edge works too? Have you rebooted your pc?

3. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Try going to control panel, clock, language, region. Go to, set the time and date, in date and time window, click change date and time, then change calendar settings in window, then at bottom RT, RESET, then re adjust.

4. PinPAD

PinPAD MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2015
    Done all that, sunberg. That reminded me of Roy from The IT Crowd - "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
    The PC has been powered down many times since upgrading to Win 10
    The fix might be simple, but it's not that basic.

5. PinPAD

PinPAD MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2015
    Thanks odiebugs1, but that didn't make it work, even after another reboot afterwards.
    The fix still eludes me.

6. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    Works for me.

7. PinPAD

PinPAD MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2015
    Funny man, maddog0266.
    If you want to be constructive, find a way to turn off the left click display of calendar, and then turn it back on. Then let me know.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As you wrote you upgraded even your Main Computer, which suffers those actions, I strongly would suggest that you backup your data and do an clean install of Windows 10 (NOT an upgtade!!). If that would let you the Wiindos works normally, would simply means that some of your installed Apps, or somw of older tweaks or something else you'd done on the older Windows, is triggering those problems.
    To find outy WHAT has trigger those problems, you would need to do all those old install, tweaks or whatsoever step by step and after each step restart the machine to find out what apps or action is responsible! If you're keen to do that, what I believe you didn't, you would have to do a lot of work.
    Beside of that you could also start to analyze the Log Files line by line and reported problemd one after the next!!

Personally, I would say an simple Data Backup and CLEAN install of Windows 10 would be the most sufficient!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. PinPAD

PinPAD MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2015
    Thanks pisthai, for taking the time to post your reply.
    The amount of work involved in doing a clean rebuild of my pc, which is used in the running of my business, is far greater than the little inconvenience of not having the calendar pop up by left-clicking on the task bar.
    It's an inconvenience I can live with.
    AFAIK, the free upgrade offer from Win 7 to Win 10 will only allow an upgrade from an existing installation of Win 7 (and 8.1), using the original Authentication Key Code. A clean install of Win 10 probably requires a Key Code for Win 10.
    I run MYOB Accounting Software, and don't want to mess with the activation of that product.

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You're wrong!! If you'd already upgraded from Windows 7 or 8.1 a were getting activated, you could just do an clean install without to provide any Product Key (keep tp Skip if asked for an P-Key) and get just activated again because MS is using your HW-ID for activation! For to get rid of all those old and maybe troubling apps etc., a clean install is really recommended! If you don't do that, don't wonder about anything that may go wrong! On the end of the day, sometimes you'll do a clean install anyway because of such repeating problems, so why not do just now??

If you're an legal user MYOB, why that should be a problem? It's just an one time 'job' to re-activate, no big trouble!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. PinPAD

PinPAD MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2015
    Thank you for the clarification, pisthai.
    A clean install may be my only option to solve this.
    I appreciate your input.

12. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    create a new local account(admin)delete existing account,save files it already saves all your programs,boot into the new account,it should say setting up a few things for you etc,you can recreate the name of old account (admin)if you want the same name as before,and delete the new account.

13. PinPAD

PinPAD MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2015
    Thank you odiebugs1, I have the old Win 7 Clock and Calendar back, even tho' the Win 10 version fails to appear.
    I will happily live with that until I take the plunge, and do a clean install on a new SSD system drive.
    Thanks to you all for sharing your wisdom :worthy: