No more W8 for me!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by t0mn8r, Feb 24, 2014.

1. t0mn8r

t0mn8r MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Alert the lynching mob.

Yes, I deleted W8 and reinstalled W7. I couldn't live with the graphics glitches, IE full screen mode not returning to normal view in Youtube, the horrible, horrible new Skype and last but not least the USB2 speeds.

W7 (almost) always behaved predictably. W8 didn't.

Yes, it's faster. Yes, it's the same kernel (sort of). There are a number of improvements for sure but they do not make up for the shortfalls.

Let the flaming begin!

:tea:

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    #2 hbhb, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    I will not waste a flame, it is just smart to use what work best for you. Period:grabbounce:

3. bambamtusa

bambamtusa MDL Member

Jul 18, 2011
    +1 hbhb and also i want to remind you a something very good about Windows 8.1, it has no ridiculously growing folders (ie. WinSXS) like Windows 7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    can j00 elaborate on this point please?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bambamtusa

bambamtusa MDL Member

Jul 18, 2011
    I don't know how to "eaborate" that, because i'm pretty sure my English will not enough to me to explain that but what the hell, i'll give it a try. In Windows, each .dll files about your softwares and libraries saving in this folder called WinSXS. Whenever you try to uninstall and/or install a software, this DLL library getting bigger and bigger. In other Windows editions, you'll have to do that cleaning and reducing process of this folder by your own. But Windows 8 and 8.1 include built-in features that do this automatically. In fact, there’s a StartComponentCleanup scheduled task included with Windows that will automatically run in the background, cleaning up components 30 days after you’ve installed them. This 30-day period gives you time to uninstall an update if it causes problems.

6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Cleaning up is much faster in win 8.1 than in 8.
    Do a fresh install of both including updates and then see the difference.

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    and suckered into the thread w00t