No Name PC With An OEM XP Pro Sticker and A Retail Version is installed.

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by cs011, Mar 5, 2011.

1. cs011

cs011 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2011
    I bought a no name pc with a fully validated and activated XP Pro system. The seller would not include the OS disk but the price was good so I bought it anyway. The pc has an OEM XP Pro (no sp) sticker on it but when I check the EULA it shows WX.4_PRO_RTL_EN. That is, as I understand, the retail version, and I know the previous owner did replace the hard drive. I was thinking of ordering an OEM from Microsoft, but my concern is it may not activate. I have no way of knowing if the hardware in this pc will match the OEM installation or if it even has to match. Does anyone have any insight into no name pcs?

2. rcnsit

rcnsit MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2011
    As long as the motherboard is not replaced,it should match.You might anyway be unable to get an OEM disk from MS,as it stopped OEM-ing XP way back in October.But yes,technically you should have got a disk as the licence is locked to the system.

3. tomah

tomah MDL Senior Member

Sep 25, 2010
    As long as you have an OEM Install CD and an OEM serial number, all should be OK. The OEM part just indicates that it is a more cost effective copy of XP meant for System Builders that put together PCs. As a result of this, the System Builder (or you in this case) must supply the end user (once again, you in this case) with support. Microsoft will not do so. You should also make sure you have all of the required drivers for your hardware prior to a re-install, if you do not have access to the internet, during the install. Good luck.