no option in bios to enable AMD-v

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by ddl8, Mar 13, 2011.

1. ddl8

ddl8 MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2011
    Hi,

I am trying to install mac os x on my pc, the problem is that vmware is keep asking me to enable hw virtualization in bios but my bios unfortunately doesn't have that option ;), so the question is - Is there a way to enable that feature without buying a new motherboard that has that option in bios:confused::confused::confused:

My motherboard is msi k9n neo

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Virtualization is always enabled on a supported ADM processor (it is not like Intel VT that needs BIOS enabled)

What processor do you have?

sebus

3. vivek.krishnan

vivek.krishnan MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
  4. jerrykemic99

jerrykemic99 MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2011
    For installing mac os on your pc AMD processors are not so good.Try Intel latest processors for a better performance.

5. northd_tech

northd_tech MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2011
    My HP DV9820US has an option for Virtulization Technology, and it shows to be "Enabled" now, but I'm still seeing the "64-bit OS" error when trying to install a 64bit Win7 and/or 64bit WinXP virtual machine under VirtualBox under Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS.

I had just updated the Phoenix BIOS from F.32 to F.34 (both had an "Enable" option for virtualization), and it does not seem to have made any difference- I still get the error message about needing 64-bit hardware for either OS.

Strangely enough, both the AMD Hyper-V tool and the SecurAble tool linked elsewhere on this forum show my HP laptop as being 64bit virtualization capable.

6. northd_tech

northd_tech MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2011
    Strangely, I was able to get 64bit WinXP installed under 64bit Vista with a newer version of VirtualBox- no more "64bit errors." The problem persists under 64bit Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS under VirtualBox though- kinda weird.