No right click on Network Connections in 8.1?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Garbellano, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
  2. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. binded

binded MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    the touch answer makes sense but now you cant change networks between home work and public
    well not with out going in to the group policy editing thing

btw i had noticed the same thing just
    ended up not caring and forgot about it

4. orca99

orca99 MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Why not "right-click" on the system tray network icon instead & open the network/sharing center?

5. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    By the way. This isn't new in 8.1. That there is no right-click in 8 either. A right-click on the network-symbol on the desktop like it was on Window Vista and 7 let you change network-settings. No changes in this respects since vista.

6. ljimbo

ljimbo MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    Or you can use the Modern UI way of doing it by Charms -> Settings -> Change PC settings -> Network -> Connections -> Click on the connection -> and turn off Find devices and Content

damn long ass way to do it.. i much perfer to right click the desktop icon ;)

7. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Just make a left click, before the right click.

8. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    Sure, but how about if you want to change the password of one of those connections?

9. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Dude, let get straight to the point:
    wifi gui is retard in win 8.1, as simple as that. It doesnt even show you wht kind of security there is on any given wifi, i think it is again stupid :bicycle:

10. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    No idea, it's a desktop with BB, it has a wlan for connecting my phone, and got all those wifi's. But my guess is if the password is different, then it will show a error dialogue and ask for a new password? :p

11. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    And thats exactly another point to remark. Even more, you cant change the Encryption type, which you can with the "older" windows 8.

right, and how about the other settings, that are in windows 8 by pressing right click on the connection?. Or if you want to change the encryption or even, show the password, which could be a mistype on it?
    I guess all of these is because its pointed to touch-screens, like Whazzupsuperfly said early

12. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    this automated process of logging in to wifi network is made more convenient as it was done earlier. In normal life you won't need to change these setting very often or not at all.
    When you change your encryption or password on your router you automatically will be prompted to insert a new key on your wifi settings and the old pass gets overwritten

13. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    Haven't tried it in win8, but I guess encryption is to be done on the host side, like a router or hotspot?

Yup, that's what I think.

14. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    I am with garbellano on this one only so far :D no really, how about if you are scanning for an open network/insecure , i mean we all have the need sometimes when outside if we don't have a portable connection or whatever the reason is , so one cant see what s open or whatnot unless you click on the connection, that sucks

15. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    #18 Mutagen, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    inSSIDer (from metageek) displays all the WiFi networks your card can see and their security/encryption type, if not "open".

Also shows WiFi channels used. Good for avoiding adjacent interference.

16. RDaniel

RDaniel MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2013
    Granted, but i think the point of the discussion is to change the settings stored in Windows, not the settings on the router. And this is not done by the program you mention.

17. ljimbo

ljimbo MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010