No saving of IDM settings......

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ThomasMann, Jan 30, 2018.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I am having a problem with IDM, and IDM has no real solution for me.

I used to have my “Options on completion” set to: “Download complete dialog”. This has worked for years, but for a few months now, I can set it to this choice and it will work, but the setting cannot be saved. It always is un-clicked for every new download and so IDM simply closes itself without notice. The download itself is good and where it is supposed to be, other than saving the setting, everything works as usual.

To my question about this inability to save the setting IDM wrote:
    “This means that some program on your computer does not let IDM to change its registry keys or restores old key values. It can be some security program or registry cleaner etc.”

Now I do not know about these things, so has someone a suggestion, please incl a how-to?

And yes, I use ccleaner, but an old version, has not been updated and the settings there worked for years with IDM…

Thank you

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you use System Tools, which are running in background full time with Windows Start-up, like Registry and other Cleaners, or any other system tools, disable the autostart of that tools.

Also, check if there any Malware, Adware, Trojans etc., etc. running 'hidden' on your windows. Use more than one check tool (like CureIt and others) for to check your system about such infection.

You could also try to use to change the start of Windows to Safe Mode for a few continuous start's for to test to see that IDM will work as it should and you could save your settings. For that, you could use the command msconfig ->Boot ->Safe boot (with Network) from Run. You may also check Boot log for getting info what happens as you boot into Windows. That may give you more (precise) info what Windows does on startup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    @pisthai

Yay! Finally you did a post correctly. No exclamation marks (!) at all... Wow, finally you got it.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    YOU have much enough to do to look at your own posts instead of complaining No-Stopping to post's of other members!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks..... When I run "Autoruns" I see nothig that fits the description, what would I be looking for?

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    May you use some 3.party app for to check what's running in the Background. Don't trust the app from MS, which may isn't 100% correct. There quite some amount of Freeware available for to do such job and it's recommended to use more than just one of them!

As I told in my other post, I would suggest to firstly run Windows several times in Safe Mode with Network enabled, for to see if its possible to save the needed IDM configuration. Also, enable the Boot Log Feature, which may give you more pieces of information.

Another way and try maybe would be the un-installation of IDM, following by a manual deletion of all entries regarding IDM in the Registry. For the Registry thingy, I would use Registra Registry Manager (the free one will do the job) for to search for any entries pointing to IDM and delete all found entries. After that, do the same Search again using MS Regedit and delete what you found left there. Also, do an in deep search for IDM with Windows Explorer (File Manager), include Hidden Files and Folder and System Files, and delete all you find there too. And do that search on the complete C:/ Drive. Done all that, restart the computer and re-install the latest version of IDM again and see that had done the job.

7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I have done the complete uninstall and reinstall before, without result and i did use the "autoruns" software latest version, where i did get loads of entries, which is why I asked that question in the last comment...

Everything incl IDM did work properly until some time ago, so I did a system restore to about two weeks ago, and the updated everything ... and now it works fine again IDM is integrated, and does what it is supposed to do. Maybe some IDM update did not integrate properly, they do one every two weeks...

So thank you for your help, it did help me to keep going on.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Good to see that the problem is solved (for now)!

IDM is 'sensitive' in some ways, and I also had some problems with it. Mostly that was related to some 'hidden' settings which couldn't be altered in a 'normal' way. Also, most of the problems were triggered by other apps, special some so-called System Tools, and other auto-started apps.

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ Thomasman, I must say have tried IDM a few times over the years but still prefer Jdownloader and it is free and no problem setting it up with RPnet or read debrid. Just a thought you may wan't to give that a go.

10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks,
    I only bought two softwares in my life and a few years ago this was one of them. It is great software, but it needs to be updated to override the cracks offered on all torrent sites. These updates usually work fine...

This is simply another problem caused by the new improved Firefox which "helps" users by preventing them from using add-ons that worked for years or decades. Because Firefox had to implement all these new extras, like telemetry, screenshots, pockets and eight others, which existed in separate add ons long before Mozilla ever thought about them. Users now spend their time de-activated dozens of nonsense in Firefox and then find ways to get around the no longer usable add ons....

IDM works now once again as it is supposed to, wish you would have told me about JDownloader a few years ago ;-)