No sound drivers for Dell GX520 anywhere :(

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by technisearch, Sep 11, 2009.

1. technisearch

technisearch MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2009
    Its 1am and I have been a s**t partner as I have spent 2 hours trying to get my Dell Optiplex GX 520 working,

Under device manager the "multimedia audio controller" has the evil yellow sign,

Auto update of driver no go,
    I have tried to manually install some other soundmax drivers,
    Have scanned with web bollocks but refuse to pay $30US...

I might have to , but if some boffin can please help me I would be much indebted to you.

I put the WIN 7 on my toshiba laptop and it all worked like a dream and thought the Dell would be trouble free also..

:(

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, night and ta in advance

2. Saiki

Saiki MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2009
    reports are Vista drivers should work so tru the vista one?

3. technisearch

technisearch MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2009
    I have tried a couple in aus, but no luck, can find one that works?

4. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    i get my sound driver by running windows update.it appears in the optional updates.can try that.good luck.

5. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Navigate to the properties of the sound device in device manager,
    Details, select Device Id and post the whole string, like
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1984&SUBSYS_10280211 etc.
    Then I'll find the right drivers for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #9 HotCarl, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
    Vista or XP drivers should work just fine for your sound card. I installed Win7 on an old Dell laptop and all of the drivers that I installed were XP drivers...all worked perfectly. First you will have to extract the driver that you want to install from the install package (this is usually done by running the installer which should unpack the drivers to a specified location on the hard drive, remember that location then cancel the install after the installer extracts all the files (if necessary, sometimes the install package just extracts the files and nothing more)). Now you will have to open Device Manager (right click on Computer, select Properties, a new window opens, click Device Manager in the upper left of this window) and install the drivers manually. Select the device that needs the driver in Device Manager and double click on it. When the device properties window opens, click on the "Driver" tab, then click the "Update Driver..." button. Now select "Browse my computer..." and then click the "Browse..." button and navigate to the folder that you extracted the device driver to. Ensure that "Include subfolders" is checked just in case, then click Next and follow along with the wizard to complete the driver installation. Do this for each device you need to manually install a driver for... ;)

7. technisearch

technisearch MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2009
    Thanks for all the suggestions,

I have tried to manually install the above mentioned driver for vista manually with no luck,

The automatic search online doesnt seem to even attempt to look for it, I just saw that this version is yet to be activated but the toshiba I installed it on didnt need activation, same disk... so my efforts are trying to get it activated.... I am having not much luck, there is a huge instruction list that is a tad beyond me and the other loader's have had no luck...

so hopefully when it is activated windows will find the driver,

The hardware IDs as someone requested is as follows:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DE&SUBSYS_01AD1028&REV_01
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DE&SUBSYS_01AD1028
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DE&CC_040100
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DE&CC_0401

If anyone can help with my now 2 problems I would love a hand :)

Take care and enjoy the weekend

8. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    #11 FuzzyMaster, Sep 12, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
    Activation has absolutely NOTHING to do with finding and/or installing drivers.

Vsita drivers should work fine. If there are no W7 or Vista drivers available for your sound card from the manufacturer (Soundmax?), then HotCarl's suggestion for using XP drivers is about the only other way you may get your sound working. If you can't follow those instructions then I think you are SOL. Stick with XP or get used to no sound.

Btw, did the W7 Upgrade Advisor, or the compatibility checker (when you start the W7 install) report that your sound drivers were OK or did they tell you that new drivers were needed?

9. technisearch

technisearch MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2009
    It is activated now,

And do you need to be so rude mate? wtf?

The xp drivers do not work period. It has nothing to do with me being an idiot anymore than windows activation wouldnt help find the driver.

Hopefully the Hardware ID will help locate a driver that will work.

I didn't have a wifi card in th machine at the time of installing 7 therefore no internet, I had no issues at all with toshiba drivers so I did a quick search and everyone seemed more than impressed with 7 picking up all drivers, so I took a gamble, I am sure I will get the sound working,

With someone giving me the WIN7/Dell Portal link I went into it and got directed to the drivers for the optiplex GX520 drivers and under OS xp was the newest option, I tried to manually point to the inf but was not compatible.

I am sure it will work soon : )

10. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Sorry, didn't think I was being rude. Just trying to point out that activation & drivers were completely separate, and that you weren't left with many options if HotCarl's suggestion didn't work for you.

11. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

No one is being rude, he is just trying to help you get things running.
    On this forum you may be talking to someone next door or on the other side of the world, if someone says something that is slightly objectionable just chalk it up to a communication breakdown. Unless someone actually tells you to f**k off then give them the benefit of the doubt.

Some hardware will not be compatible and while Microsoft says if it works in vista it should work in windows 7 you can be sure that some hardware will not work. If Windows update does not have a driver you will most likely have to force an XP driver which can be tricky. In my experience it may take a few months for a drivers to become available.

You may be better off getting a cheap soundcard from a local shop or online, read the customer reviews on site like Newegg to find cards that work with 7. Make sure you get the right type of card (PCI or PCIE) and disable onboard sound in the bios. That or go back to Vista or XP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. technisearch

technisearch MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2009
    Sorry mate, I thought SOL was like SOB (son of a bitch) :)

It is working, It was under the windows update which I am 85% sure wasnt there pre activation... anyway it is all resolved, sorry for taking SOL the wrong way, I love Win 7 I hated vista, I am now upgrading the last system in my house to WIN 7 , the tweaked xp's have done me fine but WIN 7 seems to have the speed and guts of XP with the 'ooh la la' of what vista attempted,

Thanks all for your help, let me know what SOL is :)

And for those using DELL to activate use the Older Loader re: Daz 1.5.5 I tried the other 2 first and was about to cry :) Third time the charm

13. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    s**t Out of Luck

14. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    As in....you have no other options left....so your s**t out of luck....

15. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

See, now you're getting all technical on us.

16. Downloadix

Downloadix MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    #19 Downloadix, Sep 13, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
    Hi,
    I've sent you the solution via PrivateMessage, but here is a copy for anyone else who might be interested :

First, Dell Optiplex GX520 and GX620 are near-identical: they share the same motherboard and components, including the Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio / SoundMax audio chipset.

Both computers are from the Windows XP era: neither shipped with Vista preloaded, and neither has a SLIC tag in the BIOS. So neither has "Vista" (or Windows 7) drivers posted by Dell on their official support website.

One additional useful trick to know is that apparently only the Dell Optiplex GX620 shipped with Windows XP Professional 64-bits, and has drivers posted for 64-bit XP on Dell's website.

Now here's the trick: the drivers for XP work perfectly under Vista and Windows 7, however they won't install because they check for the operating system and will report that any OS different from XP "is not supported", aborting the installation.

So basically you need to download the XP driver from the Dell support site.

If you run Vista or Windows 7 32-bit, get the Analog Devices ADI 198x driver "for Windows XP" from the Dell Optiplex GX520 or GX620 website... version 5.12.01.5246 aka A23 posted June 2005 currently.

If you run Vista or Windows 7 64-bit, get the Analog Devices ADI 198x driver "for Windows XP x64" from the Dell Optiplex GX620 website... you won't find it on the GX520 webpage ! It's version 5.12.02.5280 A01 posted June 2005 currently.

Now the trick is not to run these EXE directly, otherwise they'd report "Operating System is not supported": instead, right click on the EXE, go into the properties, and configure
    [x] Run this program in compatibility mode : Windows XP Service Pack 2
    [x] Run as Administrator

This time the driver will install and run perfectly, as Windows Vista/7 will report to the application that it's running under Windows XP SP2 :)

In fact the speakerphone icon in the systray will appear right away even before rebooting your computer. Upon reboot, you'll get a few seconds delay upon login into Vista or Windows 7, then you'll get a weird popup with an error message such as "no ADI codec installed or found", which you can safely ignore... your audio driver will work perfectly :D

PS: I remember that the 32 bit driver has a Setup.exe installation program to run, but I can't remember for sure if the 64-bit GX620 has a similar Setup.exe or is just a bunch of driver files with an OEMSETUP.INF driver description file... in the latter case, just install the driver from Windows by selecting "Have Disk..." and point at the location directory where you extracted the OEMSETUP.INF and all other files.

PPS: did you install Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit ? As far as I remember, the Optiplex GX520 only has 2 memory slots active (out of 4) on its motherboard, unlike the GX620 which has all 4 slots. This means you'll have a very hard time exceeding 2 GiB RAM on the Optiplex GX520, and I don't see any reason to install Windows 7 in 64-bit mode on this computer...

Hope this helps & good luck!
    Cheers

17. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007