No System Properties after installing Win 7 SP1

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bertikul, Aug 15, 2011.

1. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #1 bertikul, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
    Hi all

After installing windows 7 x64 SP1 (Service pack only), System properties box/window won't open. As usual I right click on "Computer" - select "Properties" but nothing happens. There is a "Properties" option in right click menu, but it doesn't open anything.

There are other options I can not change like some Taskbar Properties options, I can install but when I click on Controll Panel -unisntall a program - nothing happens..... It looks like my Administrator account is kind of "limited". I double checked and it IS a Admin account.

Then I enabled Hiden Adminstrator account using windows 7 DVD Command Prompt. Still have exactly the same proplems as with my account.

Anyone can HELP Please

laptop Asus M60j
    Win 7 Home Premium x64
    I7 720M
    4 Gb Ram

2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Maybe a problem with system file, so try this...

1.Close any open programs on your Desktop

2.Click on the Start button

3.Click Run

4.Type this command in the Run box: SFC /SCANNOW

5.Click the "OK" button

3. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #3 x86, Aug 15, 2011
    Did you use an untouched SP1 ISO or did you modify it i.e. removed components etc :confused:

I had this very same problem on my first 7 installation. I used rt7lite to remove few features (non-system critical) and integrate hotfixes / updates. I ended up having to re-install 7, this time using an untouched ISO. Then I used command line DISM (instead of a 3rd party like rt7lite) to integrate the hotfixes and it all worked out fine. I suggest you do the same in the future in order to avoid having corrupted installation ISOs (which is what I think happened here) o_O

As a first step, do what NICK@NUMBER11 suggested, and if that doesn't work, we will think of something else for you to try ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #4 bertikul, Aug 15, 2011
    (OP)
    Thank you for your replies

Laptop came with Windows 7 Home premium preinstalled OEM Asus. Its a genuine copy straight from the manufacturer. I never reinstalled windows 7. I didn't have to, just working fine since always untill....Sp1 install

Sp1 exe file downloaded from microsoft

SFC /SCANNOW didn't work (tried yesterday and today too)

5. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    It seems that sp1 has corrupted system files on your account. Could be malware or bad sp1 download.
    Try uninstalling sp1 and do a system restore to before you installed sp1.
    Use malawarebytes anti-malware to check and ensure your system is clean.
    Re-download sp1 and try again.
    If everything is ok re-download sp1 and re-install

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
  7. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #7 bertikul, Aug 15, 2011
    (OP)
    I tried to Restore/rollback windows - there are a lot of restore points but none concerning SP1

I tried re-enable v2 portable.exe - application error

Tried to uninstall SP1 microsoft way - the only way for me is throught command prompt - wusa.exe /uninstall kb:97....again application error - it is saying smth like ...may be temp files for uninstallation are deleted

tried re-launching SP1.exe - it's saying: SP1 is already installed

scanned the system in safe mode with Malwarebytes - deleted some infections but that didn't solve my problem

I'm scanning the pc withe Kis 2011 right now

God I don't want to Reinstall windows and all those Softs again

PLEASE HELP

@x86
    I'll try your example and report back but right now kis is scanning in safe mode. I'll wait for the scann to finish
    THANKS

8. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #8 bertikul, Aug 15, 2011
    (OP)
    CMD as Admin
    I run the command control sysdm.cpl, and YES system properties shows up.

BUT how will that help me with my problem? It does not make - Computer right click - propertiers work or have access to other parameters

9. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #9 x86, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoPropertiesMyComputer"=dword:00000000
    Paste the above into Notepad and Save As .reg & ensure Save As Type is All Files. Then backup your registry (I presume System Restore is non-functional :confused: ) and double-click on the reg file you just created and click on Yes...

I used this on an XP installation in the past successfully for the same issue; but it will be a long shot now as I am not at all confident it also applies under 7. Just try it. You shouldn't need to restart after that, so check immediately if its fixed ...

10. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #10 bertikul, Aug 15, 2011
    (OP)
    does that .reg file aplies to x64 systems or do i have to change smth?

edit: reg file dos not work

11. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
  12. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Thank you all for for your help and advices.

Nothing worked and I'm doing a repair install right now.

I'll let you know once finished repair install

13. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Repair install fixed everything (I didn't have to do repair install since windows xp times).

Thanks again for taking your time and trying to help me

14. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
    Probably some files where corrupted and caused those problems.
    Glad that you fixed your problem:yeah: