No updates, no WAT?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by GRDaddy, Jul 9, 2010.

1. GRDaddy

GRDaddy MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2010
    So if I install all the updates on my Daz-Activated Windows 7 OS, except for the risky KB971033, and then disable updates indefinitely and don't plan to update; will that pretty much ensure that that I won't be ever facing non-genuine status? Theoretically speaking.

Or are there other behind the scene tasks that gives Microsoft that level of access to check your system for loaders?

It's a simple home computer that is just used to web surf. I just want to make sure it'll run without having to deal with non-genuine status.

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    It is the WAT (KB971033) update that flags you so just right click it and hide it and you should be able to dl any updates

3. GRDaddy

GRDaddy MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2010
    Well, I'd actually like to let the computer running in this state for my family. I don't know about future updates and prefer not to risk it. Including SP updates in the future. I'm just wodering if there was any other way for Microsoft to disable at this point besides that update.

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I read somewhere very recently that SP1 will contain a refined version of wat/kb971... However, I am pretty confident that Daz will find a workaround to that also. Plus, there is IR4 as a very good alternative (and does not screw up the system at all, like Daz).

As of now, kb971... is not offered by default, and you can continue to install all updates, if you plan to use Daz. IR4 has no issues at all with any updates right now. Why not install them since you have paid for the OS (in terms of bandwidth, internet payments, and DVD!!!).

All successful exploits are reasonably guaranteed to work till SP1. Keep visiting this forum to keep abreast of what is happening in the MS versus the `educational' segment.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Keep in mind that it will be some time before we either know or not if it has an update to WAT inside of the Service Pack....
    We will however know at the end of july or sometime early in june. However I'm fairly confident that it will contain KB971033 if it will be a modded and upgraded version of it thats still questionable....
    However all known hacks/exploits which are 4 last time I counted by the amount of methods....

6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    SP1 beta does contain the KB971033 update. Plus it may contain other similar updates that may not be obvious to technically challenged people like me. Can someone enlighten.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    What are you afraid of - that your family will find out you're a pirate - arghh??

Why not tell them and explain the costs savings?

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I have seen the same message verbatim in multiple threads. What is the rationale for this message.