No way to do a clean install on an OEM computer?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by brokenlax, Nov 14, 2012.

1. brokenlax

brokenlax MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    #1 brokenlax, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
    Hi,

I recently took advantage of the $15 Windows 8 upgrade offer so I have an legitimate ISO of Windows 8 Professional. Just a few days ago I purchased a new laptop and it came with Windows 8, the regular version, and I want to do a clean install on that laptop. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the regular version ISO of Windows 8 anywhere, and the recovery disks that came with the laptop are split into 4 CDs (Not even a DVD).

I recall in Windows 7 you can change the ISO to any version you want, but I'm interested if anyone knows how to do it with a Windows 8 ISO.

Edit: thread title updated. How do you do a clean install on an OEM Windows 8 computer? Using anything other than the stock recovery disks would result in an error message "The product key entered does not match any of the Windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key". ei.cfg also doesnt work.

2. brokenlax

brokenlax MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    I need to change a Windows 8 Professional ISO to a Windows 8 ISO.

I searched around and there seems to be a way to change the editions using the ei.cfg. I'll report back if it works.

3. brokenlax

brokenlax MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    Well it still doesn't work. Both on the stock ISO and the modified ISO with a custom ei.cfg.

I get an error message saying "The product key entered does not match any of the Windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key"

I'm probably guessing the professional ISO I have here already have a key preloaded or that the OEM key on the bios is mismatching with the key on the disk, since the installer doesn't even give me an opportunity to enter a key.

Anyone know how to remove keys from an Windows 8 ISO?

4. rlc

rlc MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2010
    #4 rlc, Nov 15, 2012
    I suspect that's the same problem as already discussed here:
    h t t p : / / forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/39046-Windows-8-OEM-Issue

Laptops usually come with CoreSingleLanguage or CoreCountrySpecific SKUs, which are not the same with Core, the MSDN version "windows 8" SKU. By far I haven't noticed any other channels you can get CoreSingleLanguage or CoreCountrySpecific SKU iso besides OEM.

I believe there're 3 workarounds here:

1. build your own CoreSingleLanguage or CoreCountrySpecific SKU iso by importing corresponding license files from an OEM installation into your MSDN iso.
    2. build a single SKU iso by removing the other SKU from MSDN iso. window 8 retail iso from MSDN combined Core and Pro together. In this way, you will still need to manually import corresponding license files from an OEM installation to utilize your current OEM license.
    3. install windows 8 by commands I mentioned here.

5. 5856898

5856898 MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    You need to do a clean Core install first and then upgrade to PRO by using your $15 Windows 8 upgrade offer, To skip the step of key inputting during installation, make sure your ei.cfg works otherwise you'll get such error like you said. the best way I think is deploy a Core install directly via imagex.

6. 5856898

Aug 18, 2012
    In fact, CoreSingleLanguage or CoreCountrySpecific SKUs only ship for Emerging Market(e.g. APJ. China. LA...etc), OEMs also have Core and PRO preinstalled on their laptops...

7. brokenlax

brokenlax MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    Do you know where those files are or what they're called?

Pretty crazy that I cant even clean install an os right out of the box.

8. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Once again we see the age old challenge of having a Copy of Windows 8 where you only need to put in a product key that is for Windows 8 core.

Unfortunately its a sad day for vymrdal he was completely correct. If you really want a copy of Windows 8 core that badly look for an AIO that you want to trust but inputting a core 8 key should work perfectly.

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    and I had the difficulty of trying to get pro installed fresh on an OEM pc, I still haven't figured it out. I took the easy way out and used a backup image of Win8ProWMC and just entered a new key for WMC after the image was put on another machine. The Win8 retail disc refuses to see Pro while the OEM pc injects the core key. I have failed lol. And you want core? owmy!

10. rlc

rlc MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2010
    #10 rlc, Nov 15, 2012
    IIRC, the files located in \Windows\System32\spp\tokens

11. 5856898

Aug 18, 2012
    It's easy to make your clean install activated if your OEM purchase PC preinstalled with Core(Not Single Language/Country Specific) or PRO initially. I just did some experiment and clean install of PRO activated successfully... The most important I think is you need to find out the OEM key that stored in your Firmware...

12. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #12 Shenj, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Code:
    en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417.iso
    en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417.iso
    These are Core&Pro, what you should have downloaded in the first place, adding the ei.cfg will allow you to choose the Edition on install without needing a key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. brokenlax

brokenlax MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    #13 brokenlax, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Read my previous post. Ei.cfg doesn't work because the system is somehow entering the oem key on its own and it's throwing errors.

I'm not trying to do anything complicated. All I want to do is do a clean install of windows 8 on this computer, but again I keep getting key mismach error I stated previously. Only the recovery disk works - but that would only reset to factory settings.

14. 5856898

Aug 18, 2012
    Why not try a fresh install directly with imagex or dism? That can help you bypass the key...

15. bootstap

bootstap MDL Member

Mar 25, 2012
    ok
    have u tried to do a "fake" upgrade (from W8 core to W8 core), after resetting parameters?
    this upgrade will do a clean install.

16. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    #16 BigW, Nov 15, 2012
    First the $15 Upgrade-Key has nothing do do with an OEM - preinstalled Windows 8 (which is a lot more complex to explain how that works - see a sticky thread in this Forum)! Only the Windows 7, which was originaly installed on that machine is OEM (by the way all tools like the DazLoader simulate a OEM-install on Vista and 7).

Well I've done a clean install with that $15 Upgrade Key.

Step 1: Have the RIGHT install-image for a Windows 8 Pro install. (The full one, whicht you can find a download-link here in the forum)
    Step 2: Install with a generic vl-key (on a MS TechnetSite for client KMS-keys or the keys in that token file in the install-image) or select the right "Windows 8 Pro" (x86 or x64 doesn't matter) in a All-in-One install-image with a generic ei.cfg in it. Make a cutom CLEAN install with formating the hdd!
    Step 3: If activate your now clean installed Windows 8 Pro, input the Upgrade-Key and after you have entered that key it activates automaticaly.

So I have done it.

17. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I have posted so many times, how easy it is to Clean install Windows 8 Pro to an OEM Windows 8 machine ..
    seems not worth the time ... anymore ...

PS: only hint is Ask M$ - or the Manufacture .... of the OEM machine ...

18. papagoejoe

papagoejoe MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2011
    Why don't you just use the reset option in windows 8? To my understanding that gives you the same effect as a clean install.. Or am I wrong?

19. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Come on folks, read the original post....
    1. the bought a OEM computer with Core 8 installed.
    1a. the key is embedded in the BIOS.
    2. the Upgrade Disk will not work... why because it is Pro.... and he has to enter a key to get PRO..
    3. If he rips the UPGRADE and adds a EI.cfg so allow with out a KEY the BIOS selects Core and does not upgrade.

Many answers here are WEIRD as can be. either you did not read the 1st post or you do not understand ...

the more I read this thread the funnier it gets.... :eek::eek:
    Remember Forest Gump...

also the User should ask M$ how to upgrade the Core OEM or ask the Manufacture of the proper sequence on how to upgrade.
    the answer is so very simple that all of you are making it HARD...