No Windows Update notifications??

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Taucheranzug, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Taucheranzug

Taucheranzug MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2008
    Hi,

I have set Windows Update to not install updates automatically but to inform me when updates are pending.

Now, when I manually go to Windows Update, I can see that two critical updates (one of them being a Windows Defender update) are pending for about two days now, but Windows Update does NOT notify me about those! Windows 7 always informed me via the bubble in the system tray which I liked.

Is this is a bug in Windows 8 or is it by design? And how do I get Windows Update notifications back?

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Taucher

2. phailyoor

phailyoor MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2012
    It is by design. Update notifications are only available in the logon screen, not the desktop. I agree. It's a really stupid idea.

3. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    I am not even sure it is a good idea to have automatic downloads and install at this point of the game:scooter:

4. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    #4 Rock Hunter, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    If I understand your post, you are expecting some sort of a popup message telling you when there is an update? No, Windows Update doesn't do that. It does show on your lower-right log-in screen at startup that there are updates available and that you should go to Windows Update to install them. Bit that message only shows up if there are any updates available. When you start Windows Update, you will see any updates that are available to you. That is your notice but you have the choice of installing them or not installing them. On the other hand, if you set Windows Update to automatically install updates, it will do that without notifying you and if your computer needs to be restarted after any update, then it will do that without any action on your part.

5. Taucheranzug

Taucheranzug MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2008
    Thanks for all the info and your help, guys. So far, I haven't seen an update notification on the login screen either - or maybe I didn't pay attention. Will verify this in the next couple of days!

Thx again,

Taucher

6. user7

user7 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2012
    thanks bro

7. Chinny

Chinny MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2009
    I just check for updates randomly during the week since the update system is terrible.

8. Taucheranzug

Taucheranzug MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2008
    OK, so I haven't checked Windows Update manually for two days now, but I'm quite sure that there has been a signature update for Windows Defender (because usually, those arrive daily). But I haven't received any notifications on the login screen so far...
    Could it be that those "usual" updates for Windows Defender are somehow excluded from the notifications on the login screen?

Best,

Taucher

9. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    There Were 3 Updates This Morning (Sept 11, 2012)

I ran Windows update and there were 3 updates; an update to Office 2010, a definition update for Windows Defender, and an update for Windows 8 x64-based systems (KB2751352).

10. Taucheranzug

Taucheranzug MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2008
    Yeah, but that's not the point here. My question is: if a Windows Defender signature update is the ONLY update that's available, will a notification be shown on the login screen?

T.

11. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    yeah dude, any update will show on log in screen or if you check manually:eek: including WD

12. m203

m203 MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2007
    Ouch, I guess I have to log out at least once a day then, or might as well run windows update manually each day. Just installed win 8 enterprise evaluation, figured Windows defender would auto update even if Windows was set to only download but not install updates. One of my computers is only accessed from remote login, I never even see the logon screen - and I certainly don't want auto update on it.

13. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    you can just do manual, you dont need to log out to see if there is any available updates

14. RaymondTH

RaymondTH MDL Member

Apr 23, 2012
    i just use cscript + the windows update script

in a scheduled task every 15 minutes or when idle

no update nags and updates are installed within 15min of the wsus server downloading them

15. phailyoor

phailyoor MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2012
    If you do that, why don't you just set updates to automatic?

16. Taucheranzug

Taucheranzug MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2008
    OK, so today is the fourth day after I installed the last Windows Defener Update. So far no notification on the login screen about new updates. My Windows Update settings are set to inform me whenever an update is ready to be downloaded. So either it's normal that simple Defender signature updates are not shown on the login screen, or I'm missing a setting here... or anything else is wrong... any ideas?

Best,

Taucher

17. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Just noticed that windows update has a flash player update today.

18. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    yes, this was around today and installed smoothly

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. Kronz

Kronz MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2011
    Windows Update installs updates in the background now without bothering you. I am also uneasy with the lack of significant Windows 8 updates, but oh well, I guess that's what we get for being early adopters.