NOD32 2.7.3* / Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sideskroll, Nov 20, 2009.

1. sideskroll

sideskroll MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you could help me out with something. The other day I installed the anti virus NOD32 2.7 (I know its old but I still believe its the best version so far...) on a windows 7 machine and it worked perfect (even reported to the security center and everything). After that I tried installing it on another W7 PC and it doesn't work so far... Like.. it's there but it's not even reporting to the security center (you know, the message "your AV is reporting in an unsupported format "etc)
    So I was wondering if any of you guys could confirm if the AV actually works on W7 or if the first case was just a "fluke". I know for a fact it works in Vista (32 and 64) so in theory it should work on W7 right? (ESETs page have no info on that, only v4)
    Thanks in advance!

2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    it doesn't officially work, the only AV product Eset makes that is officially supported is 4.

Will it install and work is a big maybe, AV programs are things that usually don't work from one OS to the next without an update due to the way that they touch the kernel.

3. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    No it is not supported by Windows 7 at all. I would say it was a fluke that it worked on the other machine. Have you tested it on the other machine to make sure it is working? Like downloading the eicar file and see if it detected it. It is not a real virus only for testing.

4. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    You cannot test an AV software. It can recognize EICAR and fail with some real malware. Never use an AV software on an OS that's not supported!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    What do you mean you can't test an anti-virus software?:confused:
    It will test to see if the engine is running.

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    You have to be carefull using AV apps that are not supported in win7 or on x64.

Don't use that 2.7 in win7. It will not work, or at least stay functional. Even if it works for a while, I will bet u that it'll stop working at some time.

Use NOD32 4.0, or another brand, compatible with win7. Otherwise, you will be begging for problems along the way.

Other apps could be run in xp-mode if neccesary, but that one doesn't apply to AV or FW apps. So no work around for those, except upgrading.

7. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    #7 Servi, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
    A running engine is not enough. You simly can't rely on that it works how it should.

BTW: I prefer Microsoft Security Essentials (with a modified SignatureUpdate key in registry, from 24 h to 1 h)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    AV software can definitely be tested allright. And in various different levels for that matter. Try the method by Gentoo, that one will work for sure. It's a very simple test, but the result will be meaningfull.
    If they couldn't be tested, all the testresults on site like av-comparitives and matousec and the likes would be pure fiction.

9. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Off course, work "as it should" is another matter. That is not so easy to test indeed. But still CAN be tested, just not by U.

For that one has to rely on for example the two sites I mentioned above.

AV-comparitives for the standalone AV's

matousec for the Suites and FW's, cause matousec mainly focusses on FW protection.

U need both to make a viable comparison.

10. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009

My words exactly. LOL at the thought that AV can't be tested.:p

11. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    #11 Servi, Nov 20, 2009
    I wrote that YOU cannot test an AV software. Not with EICAR only, and not with your equipment at home. :rolleyes:

You should avoid any LOLs, as long as you think that using EICAR is a trustworthy AV testing method. ROFL

12. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I was telling him to use this to test that the engine is running. The software may have installed but the engine may not be running.

13. DDoSer

DDoSer MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    I don't use Nod I think it sucks.

14. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    It is not a bad AV but is a resource hog.

15. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yes, and I wrote that to have a running engine is not enough by far. A car without brakes can run, too... ^^

16. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    ESET is a resource hogg. The standalone is not. Been testing several standalone AV's for months in looking for the better one and eliminating the hoggs, and guess what ? I ended up with NOD32 4.0, the standalone AV.

17. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    So NOD32 working better than MSE for you?

18. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #18 genuine555, Nov 20, 2009
    You bet. MSE has more leaks than u might think. u won't notice what it lets pass though. But still, it's one of the better AV's of the moment. A lot are just plain bad, a real scam.

The good ones :

Kaspersky STANDALONE

NOD32 STANDALONE

Avast! STANDALONE

MSE

SYMANTEC

The rest all have their own issues, be it slow, hogging, false positives, leaks,...

If u want a suite, the ONLY one that u SHOULD use is KIS. It's a hogg, but is the only one with a good performing FW.
    All the other suites have a FW with leaks, or one that is just plain useless. And that breaks down the entire suite imho...

19. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Don't forget Symantec. The latest versions seem to be very good and ressource friendly.

20. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009

I will give NOD32 a shot. I don't want a suit as I use Comodo FW with Defense+