Nokia - Firmware

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by Carel, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Is there any way to upgrade the firmware of a Nokia 6210 Navigator if it's dead due to a previous failed update?

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Not to my knowledge. It must be detected by the connected pc for the upgrade to take place. If the Nokia is dead that won't happen.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I've heard something about some Phoenix Service Software, that's capable of flashing a dead phone... But I'm not sure if it'll work. But anyhow, the phone can be recovered, right? It's not goodbye, is it? If I take the phone to Nokia / Vodacom, they'll most probably recover it for me?

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Yeah most likely.........but it will cost you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Ok ,well this phone is worth ZAR 3500, & updating the firmware costed me ZAR 150, I'll most probable receive it back next week.

My biggest concern is whether the Symbian OS is part of the Firmware (is it the same thing)? Will a professional software upgrade really fix this?

6. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    The OS and firmware are separate things to my knowledge. Im sure as the pro's are doing the upgrade all will be fine. Im interested to know how your update failed, was there enough charge in your phone when you did the update ?

7. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Well to begin with, I was facing a problem with the Internet... Even though it sowed that 3G & 3.5G was available & in use, I never got above 3~10kb/s, kilobyte a second, which is abnormally slow...

I used the phone to check itself for new firmware, but then every time I did this, the damn thing gives me a differeent error message. The first time. it did nothing, the second time it freezed, then i attempted it again & it told me there was an error to check for updates. Then after a long time of all this different error messages, it finally stated that it's downloading updates now, but then it stopped again...

So, I downloaded Nokia Software updater for the PC & downloaded the 120mb update. Then the update started (the phone was connected to the charger, the battery was full anyways), but then the stupid phone freezed again & I had to remove the battery. At this stage the phone still worked. I attempted this for 3 times & the 4th time it updated, but it still showed the remaining time is 1 second, this is when it freezed again. After this, the phone was dead, completely dead. The battery was fully charged, all running applications was closed, etc. I think the update failed because the phone was not stable, for some unknown reason. This is what happend, the phone wasn't stable enough... Hopefully, I REALLY hope the guy I gave the phone to, would be capable of updating the Firmware & the OS (Symbian), bacause a 120mb update, for sure wasn't only Firmware, it surely was the OS too.

They don't update the Phone via USB, do they? What cable do they use & what software?

8. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    #8 Carel, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
    (OP)
    Phone Working Again

Ok, don't worry... In the future, all Firmware upgrades @ home ARE safe, even if the phone is DEAD, like mine. It doesn't cost much to repair it, all mobile phones has direct access to the EEPROM (underneath the battery). So, in short, just take it to a repair centre & ask for a software update, you can wait while this is being done. A mobile phone isn't like a motherboard of a PC, it doesn't crap completely if the update fails, it's always recoverable, even if it had a bad virus attack...

9. ptrhenry52

ptrhenry52 MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2010
    It must be detected by the connected pc for the upgrade to take place.I experienced exactly the same today.I had the same firmware.The phone is now on its way for maintenance.I used the phone to check itself for new firmware, but then every time I did this, the damn thing gives me a different error message.

10. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Oh, yeah, you can hear when the PC detects the phone. Turn on your PC speakers and connect your phone. When you press power on the phone, you'll hear windows play the "new hardware found" sound.

11. revo10

revo10 MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2010
    I tried flashing a dead nokia 6210 navigator with 2 cracked versions of JAF, but neither one worked (1.98.62;1.98.64), it's giving an error (Error reading full info). The phone is dead because I tried downgrading it with JAF and it failed when starting the pooling process, and now i'm trying to make it work again after I saw your post. Can you make a pack for the program that worked for you?

12. revo10

revo10 MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2010
    Hi again! Great explaining :worthy:

I managed to flash it to the latest version and then downgrading it with success. Thank you!

13. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Nice, however I can't understand why manufacturers such as Nokia can't write their own properly working software, such as Sony Ericsson. Sony's software can do what JAF can. It'll spare Nokia so much time & will only iprove their customer experience and rating. But, Unfortunately I know that chinese engineers can't really think that far, however they are bloody good at pirating other manufacturers's stuff with reduced quality. SONY = from Japan off course, that's why its engineered with extremely high quality, not just in terms of performance, but also in terms of quality. Unfortunately manufacturers don't get it. Performance and Quality isn't the same thing... Sometimes a product with lower performance can be of higher quality.

It took me a while to figure this whole JAF thing out... Nokia's phones is equipped with an emergency EEPROM writer. The phone can boot into flash mode via USB, but the stupid engineers never made software available to customers so they can do it themselves. Maybe they want to milk us for more money at lower quality...

14. revo10

revo10 MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2010
    Yeah. It's just like that, they want you to come to their service for a software repair to milk you of money instead of releasing a proper app because 100% they have one which is probably hard to leech because it's in chinese, however there are lot of people with their own little phone store that also repairs phones, at least here in my country there are plenty who would gladly rip you off some money for just 3 minutes of phone flashing.

15. muallij

muallij MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2010
    who knows how to update nokia n97 firmware by computer? I mean a latest one - Nokiia N97 Firmware Update v.22.0.110. As for now, version 22.0.110 is available OTA only but it should be available through the Nokia Software Updater in due course. The problem is, my n97 internet connection is sux. Always disconnect while downloading. Can anyone?

16. edariouimobiliaria

edariouimobiliaria MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2011
    Carel, I own a Nokia X2 01 and got an issue to the point of putting a new firmware but i didn't do it on my own just got help from a friend who did download at nokia website and reset it with the latest version... now it works all right..