Non Geek Windows 8 Installation to Partition 'H'?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by hmscollingwood, Sep 27, 2012.

1. hmscollingwood

hmscollingwood MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2012
    I couldn't get this (Boot From USB Stick - with WinUSB Maker v2, software) to work because its warning 'delete data' splash window words were partly obscured by the limiting border to elicit any command, such as 'continue'. So I couldn't install anything on the 4 GB stick.

Apart from that, the purpose was to install a Windows 8 O/S in a third, 306 GB, partition 'H', of a 1TB drive.

I was hoping that I could assign a boot sector from my hard drive with this software loaded on a 4GB stick (chance would be a fine thing), to sector ‘H’.

The first O/S is XP (sector C) and the second is Windows 7 (sector D). All I've managed, after many hours of downloading and attempting to install, is to arrive at a sticking point. I can't seem to find an option to simply install the 3.4 GB files to my 'H' designated partition, at boot stage, to trial Windows 8.

Does Windows only allow 2 O/S’s? Do I need to delete XP?

It seems that the system (with no warning) wants to overwrite a brand new Windows 7 installation, which took most of a day to sort out with Microsoft (because the Product Code was stolen from the packaging) – and which I’ve just installed and under no circumstances want to damage. It’s been downloading and installing vast amounts of updates and service packs this last couple of days, taking up hours of my free time, with rebooting and reconfiguring, etc.

I don't know how to select a H/D sector at the boot stage, to install the Beta Windows 8 to, despite having formatted it and given it a letter ‘H’.

Can anyone help, please, without resorting to patronising comments and gratuitous put downs?

Paul

2. woebetide

woebetide MDL Member

May 28, 2007
  3. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    Load the win8 ISO by whatever ISO apps(daemon tools, ultra ISO.....), go to the sources folder and launch setup.exe, there you will be greeted with the screen to choose partition to install. :D

4. Pintino

Pintino MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2012
    BCDboot is a tool used to quickly set up a system partition, or to repair the boot environment located on the system partition.The BCDboot tool is a command-line tool that enables you to manage system partition files.