non-windows Software to copy data

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by computercenterhanover, Sep 22, 2022.

1. computercenterhanover

May 3, 2012
    Hi All
    I have been using linux to copy data from one drive to another but am now having issues with 10th gen and up. Linux will not boot on the 10th or 11th gen cpu. Any sugestions on a substitute that will not require ownership or have file length issues.

thanks

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You should specify in the initial data given which Linux and with which processor and which computer will not start.
    It is also necessary to know which BIOS you are using and what the BIOS settings are.
    In general, all mentioned processors also support so-called legacy i.e. BIOS startup, of course if your computer's BIOS allows it.
    It has been said that some manufacturers have disabled or removed the Legacy boot settings in the BIOS.
    In case your computer's BIOS does not allow booting in the old method, you need to use newer Linux versions that all boot in UEFI mode, or make/get a special system that will boot on your computer, no matter on Legacy mode or on UEFI mode.
    But there is probably nothing preventing/forbidding you to continue using Linux. But now we need to know more to say what the real reason for the non-starting is. I personally don't think it's the CPU, but something else.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...