Noob BIOS modder, trying to mod Samsung Series 7 Slate BIOS

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by matthewthepc, May 22, 2013.

1. matthewthepc

matthewthepc MDL Novice

May 21, 2013
    Hello! I'm completely new to BIOS modding, but I would like to enable the VT-x option in my Samsung Series 7 Slate's BIOS. Of course I don't want to mess something up, so if you guys would be kind enough to clear up some things and make sure I haven't made any big "beginer mistakes" that would be awesome :p

What I did was download the Samsung BIOSUpdate tool for my slate, then downloaded the latest 13FW BIOS exe. I ran the exe file (making sure to lock the _Samsung_Update folder in TEMP), and a .rom file magically appeared in the directory. I opened it up in AMIBCP 4.53, then edited "CPU VT (VT-x)"'s Access/Use value to USER under the SysInfo folder and pressed Ctrl - S to save the ROM file.

How should I flash the ROM file? I found AMIFLASH from AMI.com, but it has an AMIBIOS folder and an Aptio folder. My BIOS says Aptio in it, so I opened up the Aptio folder, but inside there are folders for EFI, WIN, and DOS. Which should I use?

Also, what's up with RW-Everything? In the BIOS requests section they have you upload a RW-Everything report, but I've not found a place to use it yet. I don't want to mess around with SLIC or anything, if that makes a difference (AFAIK my Windows is activated from like a store-bought license key, not anything in the BIOS).

Finally, in the case that stuff does go wrong and I have a useless BIOS, I'm assuming that since it's an AMI BIOS I will be able to hook up a CD/DVD with a ROM file and overwrite the BIOS? Have their been any cases of this not working?

If you could answer even one of my questions that would be really helpful.

Thanks,
    Matthew