Noob needs help compressing files

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by edgekeeper, Jun 1, 2013.

1. edgekeeper

edgekeeper MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2013
    #1 edgekeeper, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
    What program works best from your experiance?I want to compress where I don't lose quality.Example,I got all seasons of house MD in a folder then each season in another folder,76.4GB total.Its a mixture of mkv & mp4.I never got around to compressing because I can never find good tutorials & I don't want to mess up files.
    My external is 465GB,i'm down to 33.3GB free space.Only about 8% or probably less of all I have on it are compressed.
    I split it into catagories:
    Software(11.6GB)
    Documents(599mb)
    Ebooks(1.18GB)
    Movies(189GB)
    Music(63.7GB)
    Video games(164GB)
    Would really like help on this.Thanks all
    P.s.:Sorry if this is not the right area.But i'm using W7
    Edit: Mods,please move to Application software.I didn't notice it at first

2. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Most of your video files will have been compressed at creation. Only thing I can think of that you can do is convert all your video files to a lesser quality format or/even smaller aspect ratio.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ultraform

Ultraform MDL Junior Member

Mar 17, 2013
    you can with winrar, winzip ,7-Zip ,PowerArchiver ,PowerZip. I dont think you loose quality if you pack it up again.

4. edgekeeper

edgekeeper MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2013
    Thanks guys.I think I may use 7-zip.I don't want to change the file type of each file,just pack them like ultraform said.I want to make sure they are same quality when I unpack them to use