Noob questions about bios modding.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Gyanos422, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Gyanos422

Gyanos422 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    I want to mod my bios to have a SLIC 2.0 or 2.1 table in it. I have an eMachines that must have been released right before Vista, because the hardware is capable of running it (with the exception of the onboard video but i don't use it). I would like to put a 2.1 table in if i can, but i'm not sure what i need to do. I identified the bios as a Phoenix 6.00PG which is an Award bios. Do i need to get one that is for an emachine or can i use one for any brand with 6.00pg?

2. dogfox

dogfox MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2008
    you will need to get the bios that is for your motherboard ... you should be able to get that from the emachine support page

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gyanos422

Gyanos422 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
  4. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    Run AWDFlash and Back up your current AWARD Bios and modify that.
    You need to have the Bios that EXACTLY Matches your MB or you will end up either unable to flash it or Bricking that MB.

5. Gyanos422

Gyanos422 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    That sounds a helluva lot easier. And i appreciate that. I'm sure there is, but is there a guide for that?

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Gyanos422

Gyanos422 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    Thanks so much for the help! Ok, so let me just repeat this with some questions:

I went to the link you gave. I downloaded "Bootable_usb_drive.rar", "HP usb disk format tool" and "AWDFlash."

Do i put AWDFlash in the root directory of the usb drive?

And from what i understand about the command flags, by running "awdflash backup.bin /sy /pn" will ONLY backup my bios for modding?

I can then insert my own SLIC2.1? Am i able to test this bios out with VirtualBOX or VMWare or something to see if it boots? And one last question, If the only way i can check it to try it, will I be able to restore my old one withthe usb drive as well? or should i dig out an old floppy drive just in case?

Again, much thanks to everyone who has educated a power user who doesn't know much about bio modding :)