Nor sure where to ask ....

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by KMcWilliams, Jul 29, 2010.

1. KMcWilliams

KMcWilliams MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2010
    Hello all,

I am about to make the move to Win7 Ultimate x64. I am running into some difficulties, but I will try to provide the info in the hopes that someone can help.

HW, Asus M2N_SLI_Deluxe BIOS 1302 (no SLIC)
    I dont mind updating BIOS w/modded if neccesary.

1) my windows is never on the internet. Used only for gaming. I have used Linux for 15 years for internet access.
    2) my partitining scheme has always been. Linux Swap | Hidden Pagefile partition | C\: (OS partition) |Storage Partion.
    3) This partition format is used on at least 3 drives w/ 1 exception (*)
    4) 1st drive C\: (OS partition) is Windows, right now XP x32
    5) 2nd drive ?\: (OS partition) WinXP x64 will be Windows 7 x64
    6) 3rd drive (OS partition) Will be linux. (*without the PF partition.)

I can hide the PF partitions (with attrib NODEFAULTDRIVELETTER trick ) and then mount them thru a /windows/system/swap (a link to PF thru the swap folder)

I mount the PF on HDD2 for OS1, I mount the PF on HDD1 for OS2

I can install Win7 without the 100MB recovery partition (I think)

I think that is enough info to ask my questions.

The partitioning scheme will work. I am wondering if Windows 7 is going to throw a fit with this partition setup.

I should re-install WinXP x64 to 1st HDD OS part, and then Win7 x64 to 2nd HDD OS part, then Linux ?

If I dont allow Win7 to handle the MBR, will it keep the loaders from working ?

Any luck using 3 (GRUB) party boot loaders with Win7 hacks here ?

I hope that this makes sense to everyone. Tried to be detailed enough wo/ being too long winded.

And constructive suggestion, comments, and opions are much appreciated.

Thank you.

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I would install in that order too. XP, then win7, then Linux. It should be fine but I am no linux expert here. As for boot loaders Daz's loader will work but you must have the option in the Advanced Tab called "Preserve Current Boot Code" checked. Then just hit install and you should be set.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KMcWilliams

KMcWilliams MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2010
    #3 KMcWilliams, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks "Dude" for the reply, making notes.

the README says I need to Visit the following website to revalidate Windows: ***.microsoft.***/genuine/

My PCs NEVER access the internet while in Windows.

Do any of the loaders work without internet access.

Is that the Advanced Tab during the Win7 install, or in Daz's loader ?

Also, any problems with the partition scheme ?

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    SLP type Activation with SLIC + Certificate + OEM SLP: Key via Bois Mod or loader does not require activation over the internet.
    But internet is needed if validation or genuine check is required.

5. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Don't worry about validation - that is only if you have the WAT update installed and it flags your system as non-genuine.

Advanced tab in Daz's loader.

Windows will ignore any partitions not formatted with a windows/dos file system - so don't worry about it - do it any way you like.

If you think you may want Bitlocker in future install Win7 to a blank disk so it creates the 100 MB system partition - if not doesn't matter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...