Not a Mac user, BUT I need help from you guys :)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spkleader, Jul 25, 2015.

1. spkleader

spkleader MDL Senior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    #1 spkleader, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    Howdy everyone... I was given a MacBook (2007 model) and when I try to power it on, I receive a black screen saying that bootmgr is missing, clearly from a bad windows install...
    How to recover from that? I'm totally clueless.
    I've googled a bit and found out about bootcamp where you can install windows from, but again, this hdd doesn't have a mac os on it, nor bootcamp..

Any help?

I'd like to have windows 8, 8.1 or 10 running on it :D
    Ah, there's a cd/dvd in the laptop...

Thanks in advance,
    SpkLeader

2. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    #2 Mutagen, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Hold down the "option" key when you boot up. If more than one drive icon appears, then there is a Mac OS installed. If you are 100% certain there is only Windows installed, then boot from the XP/7/8.1 CD/DVD and attempt a boot repair.

You could also remove the drive, put it in a USB enclosure and connect it to a Windows machine and attempt to determine which OS is installed. (And if it isn't visible to a Windows OS, then it is probably a Ext4 partitioned Mac drive).

3. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    Thank you for the reply Mutagen!
    Yep, only windows icon appears... Boot from XP/7/8/8.1 CD/DVD is out of the game.. the superdrive is BROKEN! lol
    Managed to find a DD image of OSX Lion which seens to be the higher OS that this mac supports (wikipedia). Installing to a pendrive, since the hdd is dying (disc util says the disc is dying, backup all files and replace - There's anyway to circunvent this situation? Disable SMART maybe?)
    After Lion installed in a pendrive, what's the next step? Install bootcamp?

4. Hello!

No, I think there isn't a way other than replace the disk. Disabling SMART only put you in risk to don't know when your HDD will get a fail without return.
    And yes, after install OS X just use Boot Camp for install Windows.

5. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Well, my first reply pretty much contains everything I think I know about the subject. Not sure where to go from here.
    So, a broken superdrive and a failing HDD - now I see why it was given away. (Sorry - couldn't resist)

BTW - if you Google the subject, there are folks who do have Windows OS exclusive to their Mac hardware. But they still
    needed an OSX DVD, as it contains the drivers needed for Windows to work properly with the Mac keyboard and touchpad.
    Mac keyboard has no backspace or a 'windows' key. You need those drivers to remap a couple of keys.

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    replace hdd with a sata ssd and order superdrive for $35.
    make USB lion and call it a day.

7. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    @ Mutagen: Free! Can't complain... and nothing better to learn how to use a mac. ;)

Anyway, got a new hdd, found Lion installer in a DD image, which I was able to restore to a pendrive and it boots!
    Replaced the hdd by a 250gb that I had handy... now finished instaling Lion.
    Bootcamp is next, edit a setting to be able to create a windows usb installer...
    Now the question... Which windows it can run? Windows 7 x86 is really the latest Windows I can run in this putter?

Thanks in advance!

8. Glad to read that!
    Officially speaking, yes, but apparently you can install Windows 8.1 ( everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.0-white-13-mid-2007-specs.html )

9. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    Oh well... launched bootcamp, told it to create the Windows 7 USB installer, download support software AND install Windows 7.
    It asked me to choose the partition size, I choose split. When it finished, it reboots and boom, missing operational system message.
    Boot the computer using Option key and only the hdd appeared. It doesn't display the WININSTALL pendrive...
    Any fix for this or this mac is busted?

10. #10 Deleted member 493263, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
    Mmm... Does it apply to you?: youtube.com/watch?v=NgWBY6IezQA
    If yes, you need to erase the USB memory with Disk Utility before create the installer because could have something preloaded ( cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/format-usb-mac.jpg ).
    If no, you can look:
    manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1583/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_10.7.pdf
    laptops.eng.uci.edu/instructional-computing/incoming-students/information-for-mac-users/how-to-bootcamp-to-windows-7

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try x64 .. and use bootcamp to start win7 setup in OS X

12. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    Well, FINALLY! :D
    Took a while and lots of reading..

Bootcamp = out of luck, doesn't work, no no no... tried 5 diff pendrives.. none came with software preloaded (not that I know of). Simply, NO.

So I took an external usb DVD drive, shiz from china that said "MAC compatible".
    Burned Windows 7 iso and... BOOM
    Stuck in a black screen saying
    "Select CD-ROM Boot Type: "
    and of course, keyboard was irresponsible.

To fix, had to rebuild the Windows 7 iso to use only one boot mode (elTorrito).
    After that, erased the internal hdd... booted the computer with option key and there it was.. Windows Setup Disc!

Installed it without ANY issue.. and now I'm installing Windows 10 on it :D

Btw, this mac from 2007 is more powerfull than my main pc, which is an Atom D510 with 4gb ram :D... and it almost went to the trash can.

Now only last question... I can replace the broken dvd drive with another HDD?
    Any tips or tricks? How to keep the hdd in place?

Thanks for all the help guys!!! Really appreciated!

13. Great! And yes, it takes a while.

Yes, you can but you will need an adapter. Most come with a HDD caddy. Example: amazon.co.uk/Macbook-Selected-Models-Replace-Optical/dp/B005NC38HM

14. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Glad you got it all going. I have a 13" late 2008 Mac unibody with bootcamp and Windows 7 Home Premium. I haven't had it on for a long time - I am not much of a Mac person as well. I just powered it up. Win 7 hasn't been updated since May 2014. But I am updating now. The bootcamp 120GB partition has 74GB free, more than enough for a W10 upgrade. Don't know if it will activate, but my W7 is showing up as genuine.

15. 6202

6202 MDL Novice

May 13, 2015
    #15 6202, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    2 suggestions:

Number 1 (YOU NEED AN 8GB OR LARGER USB)
    1.0) Since this a 2007 model MacBook, you'll only be able to run up to OS X Lion UNLESS it's a MacBook Pro--then you can run OS X Yosemite. If you have a friend with a Mac, try and hunt down a Mac App Store version of OS X 10.7 Lion on a torrent site, then follow these steps:
    Code:
     osxdaily DOT com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/
    - OR -

1.1) If you have Windows, hunt down a Mac App Store version of OS X 10.7 Lion on a torrent site. You'll see it's just a folder on Windows (called Mac OS X Lion.app or something like that). In the folder Contents, you'll see a folder called "Shared Support." Click it. You'll see a DMG file called InstallESD.dmg -- move it to somewhere you'll remember since you only need the DMG file. Now do these commands on the Command Prompt one after the other (wait for them to finish first though!)

Code:
    diskpart
    DISKPART list disk [once this is done, find what disk your USB is]
    DISKPART select disk 2 [replace disk 2 with whatever disk your USB is]
    DISKPART clean
    DISKPART convert gpt
    DISKPART create part primary

1.1.2) Create a partition on the USB by clicking on it in Computer and formatting it. Download the free trial of TransMac from
    Code:
    acutesystems DOT com/scrtm.htm
    and then select your USB, right click and choose Restore From Disk Image (or something similar), choosing the InstallESD.dmg to extract to it.

1.1.3) Now that you've created a USB drive for OS X Lion, plug it in and hold the
    Code:
    option
    key WHILE turning the MacBook on. You should see your USB drive in the row of drives, use the arrow keys and Enter to boot it up.

1.1.4) Once the installer boots, click next as usual BUT WHEN IT GETS TO THE DISK SELECTION PART: go to
    Code:
    Utilities
    in the bar at the top and then click on
    Code:
    Disk Utility
    . When Disk Utility opens, choose the Mac's hard drive in the list on the left, click Erase (in the top of the window) and then Erase (as a button at the bottom of the window). You'll be asked if you want to, click Yes/OK (I haven't used Disk Utility in a while so I don't remember exactly.)

1.1.5) Close Disk Utility and continue with the install. You'll have a fresh install of OS X Lion 10.7 on your Mac. You might want to update it, so go to the Apple icon in the top menu bar and then click Software Update.

Suggestion 2: Reinstall Windows on it via a DVD or a USB?
    2) Google is your friend.

Also, I feel the need to point out: it's Mac not MAC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. 6202

6202 MDL Novice

May 13, 2015
    #16 6202, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I saw you got it working right after I posted that :D

Follow those if you want to install OS X.

Regarding the Hard Drive In The DVD Drive Bay idea: Yes it is possible!
    Just disassemble it via these instructions:
    Code:
    ifixit DOT com/Guide/MacBook+Core+2+Duo+Optical+Drive+Replacement/518
    but instead of putting a DVD drive in there, put a hard drive! You may want to buy a special enclosure though, so it fits properly.

Other Tips
    • If you want to but an SSD in there, you'll need to download Trim Enabler. I'm sure you know what TRIM is, so download it here:
      Code:
      cindori DOT org/software/trimenabler/
      • Once you get to the download page, choose the download the old Trim Enabler 2.2, choose the "Running 10.6.8? Download Trim Enabler 2.2 here" link. Yes, I know it says for 10.6.8, but it runs on 10.7-10.7.5.
    • Personally I recommend that you use SuperDuper! to back up the hard drive currently in there and get a new one. Who knows what that drive's been through? It could fail any day!
    • You can boost the RAM in the MacBook up to 4GB (I think you can also go 6 or 8GB, but it's generally accepted only up to 4GB can be used).
    • Read up on all the manuals for the MacBook over at Apple's support site. Even though it's a 2007 MacBook, you can also use the guides for the Early 2008 MacBooks BUT NOT the Mid 2008 or later. They've got helpful info in those PDFs that could help you with replacing this or adding that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    spkleader - Did you get Windows 10 installed with everything working? I upgraded my bootcamp Windows 7 to 10 and there is no mouse cursor/pointer. Makes it all pretty much useless. All the keys work, so no problem there. But using any GUI without a mouse/trackpad is pure torture.

I'm going see if a usb mouse is recognized. If so, perhaps I can go from there and download a driver to get the trackpad working.

18. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    #18 spkleader, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    (OP)
    Yes Mutagen! Everything is working FINE! Can't complain.
    But I didn't used bootcamp, it simply doesn't work for me, I don't know why. So I've installed it nativelly (??) using an edited Windows 10 disc and an external usb dvd drive.
    The only thing I had to install drivers was the isight (cam) and for the video adapter, which I extracted the drivers from the bootcamp support files.

One note, I had to edit the iso prior booting it, because I got stuck in a black screen saying "Choose CD-Rom boot type: " 1. 2.
    I had to 'remake' the iso making it eltorrito compatible and off it goes! :D
    If you need help on that, lemme know and i'll send you the files required.

@ 6202: Oh if you where here about a week ago! Spent 4 days to figure out pretty much all you said in a single post. Of course, there's lots of useful tips as well that I couldn't even dream about it. Bookmarked for future reference.
    Thanks for the great post!