Not a Mod Request: HELP, broken UEFI NVRAM settings, Lenovo U410 - Pheonix Bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by ackBrokenLenovoAck!, Feb 19, 2013.

1. ackBrokenLenovoAck!

ackBrokenLenovoAck! MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2013
    Hey all, Any tips at all you want to post here would be super awesome, I'm not a bios modder but I understand most of the systems pretty well...

Background:

I think I really managed to ruin my new laptop and could use some expertise here
    I have a Lenovo U410 Laptop with the latest un-whitelisted Wifi BIOS installed
    it has been working fine without any issue until I did the following:

I booted off a USB stick into a UEFI shell prompt (2.0)
    that I got here: edk2.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot.../Shell.efi
    I was following instructions here on editing my list of UEFI boot items:
    wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uni..._Interface

My goal to add my Windows 8 UEFI boot loader onto the list of available options so I could install Windows 8 onto my GPT formatted HD (i have linux already installed and didn't want to convert to msdos partition scheme)

I used the 'bcfg boot dump' command which listed all of my default bios boot options including one annoying one called '\Windows Boot Manager' that was pointing to a no longer existing efi file..
    I deleted a few that I would never use, like Lan boot and some others then added the cdrom-boot.efi file from my USB stick..

OK the good stuff below:

Upon Reboot I can no longer access my BIOS via F2 or Fn-F2 or my Boot menu via F12, the system immediatly tries to boot onto USB stick,
    And persists until a USB stick is interested it just sits at black screen..
    Once a bootable USB is inserted it boots up fine..
    I have one with LILO on so I'm able to boot my linux partitions just fine..

I unplugged the battery and CMOS battery and restarted the machine, this reset
    many bios settings to default, boot didn't repair the issue...

I even booted a windows PE environment and Re-Flashed the Bios. but same problem..
    every time i boot into the shell the same 'bcfg boot dump' enteries persist.. I think they are stored somewhere in NVRAM, but I don't really understand how BIOS NVRAM works..

Can someone help me!!
    I'm guessing that if i can wipe/format the NVRAM perhaps it will auto fill with default settings?!?!?
    I'm scared to wipe the NVRAM and brick my system..

I can boot linux off my USB stick boot still, and tried wiping the /dev/nvram device, this only resets the RTC clock but not the rest of NVRAM..

any help would be great!! I have screen captures and text dumps from UEFI shell also if those help.!!!

PS: I hope this is an ok thread for this post.. thanks!