Not a mode Request. Dell Latitude E6430 bricked after failed BIOS update

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by markdewet, Aug 28, 2022.

1. markdewet

markdewet MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2022
    I have a Dell Latitude e6430 that didn't update its BIOS correctly and is now stuck just on a black screen, with the hard drive light flashing on and off and the battery and wifi light on permanently.
    I have downloaded the latest BIOS from Dell (E6430A24.exe), have created a bootable USB stick (128MB, FAT16) with RUFUS, but no matter what option I try, I simply cannot get to the BIOS Recovery screen. I have removed the battery, BIOS battery, and power supply.
    Key combinations tried: press and hold CTRL and ESC, press and hold ESC, repeatedly press F12, repeatedly press F2 and nothing. I have tried all suggestions already on this forum, no luck. I have even tried the official Dell website instructions, nothing. Can anyone please assist in recovering this laptop if it is even possible?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    But what exactly do you need? I have already told you twice to restore the previous state, that is, to make the A09 work again.
    What else do you want? Simply restore and do it as the tutorial on Dell site recommends.
    You don't know how to restore?
    So what kind of help do you really need?

5. markdewet

markdewet MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2022
    Pressing and holding key CTRL and ESC does not work, no Bios Recovery page, nothing but a black screen
    Pressing and Holding key ESC, as described by some threads on this site, does not work.
    Pressing F12 while switching on does nothing, no boot menu.
    Pressing F2 repeatedly when switching on does nothing, no BIOS menu.
    So I am asking, which key/s do I need to press in order for the laptop either show the BIOS Recovery screen or to read from the USB stick?

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #8 kaljukass, Aug 28, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  7. markdewet

markdewet MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2022
    Thank you, I have followed the Dell page exactly as described, I can assure you. I will try a USB keyboard as that is the only thing I have to yet tried.
    Everything is currently removed, RAM, battery (I do not have the battery here with me so cannot inset it again), hard drive, I even disconnected the BIOS battery.
    I also renamed the .EXE to BIOS_IMG.RCV just to be 100% sure, still no luck.
    Thank you, I will simply keep trying various options, in hopes of somehow coming right.
    May I just ask if you would clear one thing for me? Are the CTRL and ESC keys the correct ones, in your experience?

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Unfortunately, I can't answer this question with 100% certainty, but I assume it is. They have been slightly different in some cases on different computers, i.e. there have been cases where Ctrl+Shift+Esc is, but I assume it is as their manual says.
    PS. But there have also been cases where it is necessary to replace the chip after a failed BIOS update. Anything can be possible.

9. markdewet

markdewet MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2022
    Ah, I see, now I did not know about that one, so thank you, I will give it a try and post back here tomorrow, as it is now late here in South Africa. Thank you again, kind sir, for all your input and apologies for the misunderstandings.

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Time zone is the same, but I'm in Europe, then we have now hour more than You. My current time is 0:40 AM 29th of August.

11. markdewet

markdewet MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2022
    LOL, yep, its 23H40 here now

12. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

So given you have no interesting info to provide, you invent some?

There isn't obviously any need to install ALL the updates, that would be (to say the best) a stupid waste of time.

SOMETIMES there is a prerequisite version.

Say you cant go straight fro A9 to A24, but you have to install A16 first.

But in that case the flash program is intelligent enough to ask for that REAL requirement.

13. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @acer-5100
    Your Glory, as always, you hit the nail right on the head.
    It's absolutely true that don't need all of them, but you do need some.
    Long live, the King!