Notebook/Laptop

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by vze2mp9g, Feb 15, 2014.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello,
    I was hoping if someone can tell me or point me in the right direction to find Notebook/Laptop computer for my mother. She is on SSI, 74 years old and would like to get on the net, pay bills, facebook, etc. I would like to find a good reliable computer for around $800-$900. My father passed away on December 26, 2013 without notice or warning. Now, my mother would like to start connecting to family she hasn't seen in decades. At the end of July 2013, she had a stroke, but she recovered but she has memory loss. She can't go out for long because she has back issues. She asked me to start looking around. So I've been doing that for the last six weeks. I would like her to have a touch screen with an Intel i7. I put together a wish list so that she won't have to worry about the computer being slow. My parents have a P3 @ 1.0Ghz with 512Mb memory. This is just a working model:

1920x1080 Touchscreen Display w/ Red backlit performance keyboard with programmable keys, Built-in 720p HD webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter

Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ Mobile Processor 2.70 GHz 6M Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.70 GHz

8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 SODIMM Memory

NVIDIA GTX 770M 3GB PCIe Video (NB-FANGB-201)

1 TB Seagate Solid State Hybrid 64MB Cache SATA III 6.0 GB/s Hard Drive

8X DVD±R/RW/4X + DL Super-Multi Drive (NB-FANG-DVDRW)
    or
    8X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X + DL Super-Multi Drive (NB-FANG-BR-COMBO)

Supreme HD Audio w/ THX True Studio Pro Technology

Built-in Killer N1202 - 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo

2.1 Stereo Speakers + Subwoofer

E2200 10/100/1000 Mbps Gaming Network Card

BUILT-IN TOUCHPAD

Built-in HD Webcam

Built-in 2x USB2.0 Ports + 3x USB3.0 Ports

Can anyone assist me with this matter. I would like to get the most for my mother without spending an arm and a leg. I would really appreciate any and all help.
    Thank You.
    David

:worthy:

2. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    [Sorry to read of your father's passing. My father died 37 years ago, and it's still the worse day of my life]

I like your specs., but make sure your mom's eyes can use that high resolution screen. Visit a Costco, Walmart or Best Buy first for a hands-on experience. And purchase from anyplace that offers a 30 day, no questions asked refund.

Again, I like your specs, but doubt you'll find one in your price range. If you need to scale back, a 1600x900 screen will probably do. And Intel Integrated 4000 video adapter is fine for movies and full screen YouTube videos. Nvidea card is something a gamer would surely need. Your mom, not so much.

3. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I mean no disrespect but you you're seriously trying so say your 74 year old mother needs those specs? My laptops don't even have those specs and I do a lot more than pay bills on it. I understand if you'd say those are the specs you want when your mother no longer needs this laptop and you retain ownership of it, or for anytime you use it to use your killer gaming wifi card or gaming ethernet nic..

Well #1, you definitely won't get any of that for the price range you want. The only assembled laptops that would use something like the Killer wifi would be an Alienware for $1500+. You would have to get a laptop and replace the wifi card with the killer, if you wanted it.

You should look at Toshiba.. they have some stuff on sale right now but even customizing one close to your specs is over $1000.

Intel® Core™ i3-4000M Processor, (3M Cache, 2.40GHz)
    Windows 8.1
    12GB DDR3L 1600MHz SDRAM (8GB + 4GB)
    1TB (5400rpm, Serial ATA)
    2GB DDR3 NVIDIA ® GeForce® GT 740M with Optimus™ Technology
    17.3" diagonal widescreen HD+ (1600x900) TruBrite® LED Backlit display
    Touchscreen
    DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive
    Premium Raised Tile Keyboard LED Backlit with 10-key (black)
    List Price with Upgrades:
    $1,304.99
    Component Rebate:
    -$200.00
    Base List Price:
    $1,104.99
    Instant Savings:
    -$100.00
    Accessories Total:$0.00
    Extended Service Plan Total:$0.00
    TOTAL PRICE:$1,004.99

4. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    #4 vze2mp9g, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Notebook/Laptop i5

Thank you for responding. I was just looking at Maximum PC with some of the notebooks/laptops that were advertised. I'm just throwing things out there to see what is available.

When my father was alive, he asked my younger and only sister's husband (he is still using Win XP) advice on a PC back in 2003, and they went with a Gateway Desktop with a Pentium with 512Mb mem. It was outdated and slow in two to three years. Then I had to upgrade the computer twice with new MoBo and finally with a P3 @ 1.0Ghz with 512Mb Ram. It is extremely slow and you have to wait a minuet or two for programs, like Firefox, to run. So anything is better than that. I would not prefer to go to a Wal-Mart or Staples to get one of their cheaper notebooks/Laptops because you only get what you pay for and their support aren't very knowledgeable.

What you listed above could be doable. Is it possible to do this configuration:?

Code:
    Intel® Core™ i5
    8GB DDR3L SDRAM
    1TB (5400rpm, Serial ATA)
    2GB DDR3 NVIDIA ® GeForce® GT 740M with Optimus™ Technology   
    17.3" diagonal widescreen HD+ (1600x900) TruBrite® LED Backlit display Touchscreen   
    DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive
    + 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN
    + Built-inWebcam
    + Built-in 2x USB2.0 Ports
    You can put the cheapest Windows 8 on it. She definitely needs a Wireless LAN and two plus USB ports. I just want her to get the most for her money. She finally decided to get the Samsung Galaxy S3 cell phone. I showed her my iPhone 4 (which only cost me $0.01) and when we went to Verizon Corp store, she made her decision to get the Galazy S3.

You have been a big help. Can you quote me a price for an i5?
    Thank You.
    David

5. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    I've dealt with Best Buy and they've always been very pricey. Wal-Mart is better for price, but they don't have much to choose from at the store, I haven't looked at Wal-Mart online yet. The resolution really doesn't need to be that hight, it would be nice to have a touch screen because it would be somewhat easier for her, even though she is getting more use to using the mouse.

Thank you for your kind remarks, you've been helpful and you gave me a more "realistic" idea what should be in a Notebook/Laptop.
    Thank You.
    David

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    It's not jellybelly, that is actually selling it it is a company sometimes refurbished can just mean user bought it and did not like machine and returned it back to shop.

7. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you all for your comments. I'll be taking your advice and go with Hewlett Packard HP ENVY TouchSmart 14t-k100 Ultrabook (ENERGY STAR) or the ENVY TouchSmart 15t-j100 Quad

This is the first one for 921.97 with 2 year warranty:

Components

• • Windows 8.1 64
    • • 4th generation Intel® Core™ i5-4200U Processor + Intel® HD Graphics
    • • HP 2 year Accidental Damage Protection w/3 day Onsite Response for 1 y warranty EnvyNotebook HW Supp
    • • 14.0-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display Touchscreen (1366 x 768)
    • • 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1Dimm)
    • • 500GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    • • 24GB flash Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
    • • No Additional Office Software
    • • Security Software Trial
    • • 3 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    • • External Tray Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
    • • Standard Keyboard
    • • HP TrueVision HD Webcam w/ integrated digital mic
    • • 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth® [2x2]
    Accessories

• • HP x4000 Wireless Mouse with Laser Sensor

and this is the second one for $1011.97 with the same 2 year warranty:

Components

• • Windows 8.1 64
    • • 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor
    • • Intel® HD Graphics
    • • 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768)
    • • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)
    • • 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    • • NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
    • • No Additional Office Software
    • • Security Software Trial
    • • 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
    • • External Tray Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
    • • Standard Keyboard
    • • HP TrueVision HD Webcam w/ integrated digital mic
    • • 802.11b/g/n 2x2 WLAN and Bluetooth® [2x2]
    Accessories

• • Targus CN31US Carrying Case for 15.6" Notebook - Black, Red
      • HP x4000 Wireless Mouse with Laser Sensor

Any remarks, warnings, etc.? Does anyone have anything to say about HP Laptops/Notebooks? Again, I thank you all for your comments.
    Thank You.
    David :worthy:

8. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Those specs don't say so I'm assuming they don't have dedicated graphics card.. so that's good. HP laptops are known for overheating graphics cards that fry the card/motherboard.

Neither one really come close to the specs you originally wanted.. why the change?

I'm a little biased in both pro-Toshiba and anti-HP so I'd get the Toshiba I linked over either HP any day.. but that's me..

9. andysal

andysal MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2014
    It's the notebook that I dreamed of.
    Hopefully next year i can buy this one