Notebook won't boot up!!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by tamlovescarla, Feb 18, 2014.

1. tamlovescarla

tamlovescarla MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    #1 tamlovescarla, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    Hi,

Went to bed the other night leaving my notebook on as I always do, got up in morning and the damn thing was off and wouldn't restart! Just keeps going to 'loading windows screen then back to the start. I can't access F8 - System Recovery, can't boot into safe mode or any other mode for that matter. I can access 'The TechGuys Recovery' but nothing on there works except to access CMD. From there I tried to access System Restore but it says that no restore points have been created when I know there are several!! I haveno ideawhat has happened or what else to do so would appreciate any help or suggestions please.

Thanks in advance,

Tam

Also in CMD i cannot change the drive letter!! Its on X: but my HDD is labelled C: It says that'The system cannot find the drive specified.' o_O

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #2 s1ave77, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    That might apply for the running system. In RE the CMD afaik starts from RAM and C: is assigned to the Start partition (100/350MB). Windows will be on one of the following partitions, e.g D: ....

To jump to another partion simply enter
    Code:
    D:
    Did you try booting from Live Media?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tamlovescarla

tamlovescarla MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    I've tried to restore from letters a-z using cmd rstrui.exe/offline:c:\windows with no joy!! No i haven't tried a live cd but it would have to be a bootable usb version, can you recommend one?

4. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Would start with a Windows Install Media and try a Startup Repair :D. For the rest: As it's only for checking, any should do, kubuntu would be an easy one to use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tamlovescarla

tamlovescarla MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    Thanks, I'll give it a go. I know nothing about ubuntu, never used it so will find a XP LiveCD that boots from USB(no disk drive seeing as its a notebook)from somewhere, Thanks again.

6. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    You´re welcome :D.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007