Notepad problem in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by folan, Jun 26, 2011.

1. folan

folan MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2011
    Hi. I've installed notepad2, notepad ++, and notepad lite, the problem is that these have become the default notepad, and I find them too complicated for me and do not meet something I need, which is to switch text direction. Anyhow, I need to restore the original Windows notepad and have been searching google in vain; I tried several of the methods but none has worked.

Another problem, while I'm at it, is that I have deleted a user which had been created as I was repairing my OS. The problem is that when I start my computer, I have the message "the system could not log you in etc.". I click ok and them my user appears. Can I get rid of this message which appears every time I start my computer? Thnx in advance

2. folan

folan MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2011
    Thnx acrsn, I have already tried that via the add remove programs, but they keep reappearing, although they are not in the add remove list anymore, and I'm not that expert to engage in the Windows System unless someone gives me the step-by-step method.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    How did you uninstall these did you just delete them also have you tried to see if they are in windows start menu in their own folder there maybe uninstall shortcut. You say they are still there what is still there does notepad++ for example still run or is it just that your .txt files are showing notepad++ icons if so open up file with windows notepad and save it. Also if you have system restore enabled go back and restore your system to date before you installed these text editors.

4. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #4 stayboogy, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
    go to control panel, then to remove programs, then add or remove windows components, then find notepad under the accessories section, remove the check mark. let it install. back to default notepad.

to fix the other notepad variants from being the default txt editor, just find a .txt file, right click, choose open with, then find and select the default notepad (follow steps above steps first) and make sure and check the box at the bottom of the gui that says something like "use this as the default program for files of this type" and there you are. notepad is your default txt editor again.

and there's no reason really that any program should still be on the computer once you've uninstalled it. if it is, just manually delete it (default would be in C:\\My Programs\program name) then use a registry cleaner to clean the registry entries and associations.

5. livinginswva

livinginswva MDL Member

Sep 5, 2010
    iobit uninstaller and revo uninstaller both give you the option to clean up files and registry entries. use either of them to do your uninstall, and then it will scan for the leftover crud.