Now, how to activate?! which one to choose?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sina6002, Mar 3, 2010.

1. sina6002

sina6002 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    #1 sina6002, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
    Hi everyone,

It might look quite noob asking this question, but after looking around the forum looking for how to activate, I just failed to find the best among many activators, etc.

I have a sony vaio laptop which I do not want to risk getting into problem after activation and there seem to be more than 10 ways of activating right now (considering the latest MS genuine check update is not installed).

Can someone suggest the safest way of activating a Windows 7 Professional 64bit ?

RemoveWAT looks appealing but there seem to be people having issues (such as 2-hour restarts) with it.

I think this thread will also look appealing to many other people lost between loads of ways of activation.

will appreciate any reply...

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Daz is very simple and easy for beginners. Make sure to read the repository in case you have reboot issue which is very rare but sometimes happens when trying the various modes involved

3. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Did your laptop come with an operating system - if so XP, Vista or 7 ??

If it is recent it may already have SLIC 2.1 in the BIOS and activating will be really easy. If not Daz's loader should work for you.

I would use a loader at present but that's just my opinion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sina6002

sina6002 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    It came with windows vista home premium 32bit.

The laptop is not an old laptop really. It has 4gb of ram, 2.4ghz dual core, etc. (sony vaio FW31M)

I really need a solution that does not start restarting or getting into problem after a while. Something that can be trusted in long term. And there are many licenses to choose from...
    would appreciate any help...

5. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    A lot of laptops that came out during Windows 7's later development - say within the last year or more - offer BIOS updates on their websites for Windows 7 - the ones that were selling marked as upgrade to 7 available certainly do.

Your laptop probably has a 2.0 SLIC BUT - if it is new enough - may have a 2.1 for 7.

So check out if your machine has a recent BIOS update to allow for the upgrade to 7 - download the BIOS and flash yours following their instructions

If it gives you a 2.1 SLIC table you can get the appropriate cert and key from here and you'll be undetectable with any version of 7 you want.

I did this for my partner's HP laptop -updated BIOS, got rid of Home Premium as OEMs fill the OS with garbage that just slows your computer down and installed Ultimate and activated with two slmgr commands as shown in these forums - EASY as.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. sina6002

sina6002 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Thank you very much for your replies guys.

I used Daz's activator and the activation was successful.

I am not sure if the bios was originally fine for the activator, but I did update the bios with their latest version to allow windows 7 virtual pc (xp mode). ( to enable intel's virtualization technology, and they posted the bios update after win 7 release.)

Personally, I mainly have my own overclocked i7 super computer (!!) which I built for myself, but as I couldn't risk problems happening with the laptop, I thought it would be good asking before it be too late (and thanks to you guys I did not install removewat and went for Daz's activator) :)

cheers all...

7. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    btw... no restarts with removewat, just idiots using it on the betas

8. sina6002

sina6002 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Thanks for the reply Hazar :)

I should say I totally agree. I have seen idiots putting horrible reviews for brilliant products, services, software, etc. just because they are idiot and cannot use the software...
    What made me a bit confused was that I noticed in the last few pages, there were many people reporting 2-hour restarts which I thought could be a problem with the latest version, etc. But I should say I agree. usually happy users don't reply as they don't care anymore.

For the time my own PC's license start to get near expiring, I will of course use your's :)
    cheers

9. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Not a problem, glad to hear you got it sorted

10. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Slow down there big Ed, some might argue that is a design fault for failing to prevent installation on unsupported OS.

But since the beta is over, I wouldn't worry about it. Would have been a nice idea to have had implemented back in September. Just learn your lesson and don't make this mistake with Windows 8.