NSA confirms: Windows 10 and Surface are secure

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CHEF-KOCH, Feb 12, 2017.

  1. CHEF-KOCH

    CHEF-KOCH MDL Addicted

    Jan 7, 2008
    952
    912
    30
    A lot of people will not believe this but it's as I said, Win 10 is in fact atm most secure OS (based on user <-> installs).

    I would't say the 'most secure' OS overall, but it's really a benefit over XP/7 since it comes with integrated AV and other protection mechanism.

    Edit: Fun fact is that Munich (also know to give security conferences each year and in general cares about security related topics) switches back from Linux to Windows.


    Source:
    * https://www.nsa.gov/resources/everyone/csfc/components-list/
    * https://blogs.windows.com/business/...-security-threats-new-enterprise-innovations/
    * https://blogs.windows.com/business/...-of-the-windows-10-stack/#V6ay5Afgg5HLOrTq.97
    * https://www.ris-muenchen.de/RII/RII/ris_antrag_detail.jsp?risid=4365777
    * https://www.ris-muenchen.de/RII/RII/DOK/SITZUNGSVORLAGE/4343336.pdf
    * https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...rosoft-allows-gag-order-challenge-to-advance/
    * https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/08/tech_companies_contributed_to_trump_inauguration/
     
  2. R29k

    R29k MDL GLaDOS

    Feb 13, 2011
    4,714
    4,326
    150
    :laie: NSA confirms :rofl6:
     
  3. JFKI

    JFKI MDL Expert

    Oct 25, 2015
    1,098
    370
    60
    You read my mind. :eek:

    :laie:
     
  4. JFKI

    JFKI MDL Expert

    Oct 25, 2015
    1,098
    370
    60
  5. Joe C

    Joe C MDL Guru

    Jan 12, 2012
    2,667
    1,482
    90
    A benefit over XP/7 is by design.
    They gave up on XP and 7 does not receive improvements like getting updated with the Edge browser
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. melted

    melted MDL Novice

    Jan 17, 2015
    45
    16
    0
    #6 melted, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Katzenfreund

    Katzenfreund MDL Expert

    Jul 15, 2016
    1,372
    814
    60
    No doubt the NSA wants to promote it because it has a backdoor in it.
     
  8. CHEF-KOCH

    CHEF-KOCH MDL Addicted

    Jan 7, 2008
    952
    912
    30
    #8 CHEF-KOCH, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    (OP)
    NSA if some people haven't noticed helped or build most encryption systems because they know a lot of more about encryption then you and me (okay maybe not me :eek: ).

    The rules to get certificated are very strong and I still doubt that the OS needs any backdoor since if anyone find out this, it would destroy the entire product. PGP was btw also hardened against attacks it uses now (since some years) 4096 by default which is still know an secure.

    Again I still think that the 'backdoors' everyone talking about are just protocol related issue, zero-day stuff is in general overrated and you will find a lot of known protocol problems in seconds on the www. From what we only know is that (for sure) NSA wanted to compromise Linux. And why hack OS if you can low-level and hack the hardware in the first place?!


    If anyone would have read my source, MS and others are forced to give information to NSA & co. FORCED - that doesn't mean they want to 'help' them in general since it costs a lot of time/money for nothing. So it makes less sense to argue on that. Gov. should be blamed in the first place. :sneaky:

    Don't make the mistake to spread your believes as 'facts' if there are no documents or something, this is called fake news and not really helps.... I think this needs to be seen objective. The fact that the government allows it is still disappointing enough.
     
  9. Tiger-1

    Tiger-1 MDL Guru

    Oct 18, 2014
    4,083
    4,550
    150
    @CH hi dude, well related to NSA hmm is better I forget :sneaky: and you make good find with Spritmods so I think that Mr. Jeroen Domburg is the version 2017 of Kewin Mitnik; this dude are working with snakes and fire trust me principaly when it talk that don't need cpu when making experiences is fantastic find :g: therefore even using Windows 1.0 (yes DOS) is possible find strange and espetacular things
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Michaela Joy

    Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

    Jul 26, 2012
    3,717
    4,054
    120
    @Chef: I agree with you. I did read that article. The NSA is more interested in the endpoints than cracking the actual encryption itself.
    They also have tools that they could use to 'rootkit' your machine and capture from it, if they so choose.

    @Kazenfreund: If you use PGP or tor or a VPN, they (The NSA) mark the endpoints for later investigation.
    So I disagree with you. A "Backdoor"? Not likely, unless your machine is already under investigation.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Katzenfreund

    Katzenfreund MDL Expert

    Jul 15, 2016
    1,372
    814
    60
    Apart from the NSA, which I still don't like seeing mixed up in OS security, according to my latest info, hackers are finding it hard to attack Windows 10 and are actually turning to mac.
     
  12. Michaela Joy

    Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

    Jul 26, 2012
    3,717
    4,054
    120

    @Katzenfreund: I did notice that. :D

    The untouchable MAC. :laie:

    Here, we say "Every Dog has his day". :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Katzenfreund

    Katzenfreund MDL Expert

    Jul 15, 2016
    1,372
    814
    60
    But all nights belong to cats. [​IMG]
     
  14. Michaela Joy

    Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

    Jul 26, 2012
    3,717
    4,054
    120
    A Cat is an Insomniac's best friend...and vice versa. :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. melted

    melted MDL Novice

    Jan 17, 2015
    45
    16
    0
    Great point and thanks for the links. I'm sure they have their hands on any hardware that can be software flashed. I've also heard rumors that certain hardware shipments have stopped in transit
    and had their hardware swapped out. I guess that's possible on a small scale going after certain targets. What makes me wonder is have they/are they going to finally get in on the ground floor
    with the chip makers and just pay to have their code added. Didn't Intel and a bunch of other companies get caught with their pants down trying to add back doors? I ask all this because as you
    said, what's fact and what's not.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. C7

    C7 MDL Novice

    Oct 7, 2016
    1
    0
    0
    :clap: :clap:

    I swear, I am completely unimpressed with clever answers.
     
  17. Michaela Joy

    Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

    Jul 26, 2012
    3,717
    4,054
    120

    @C7: You're welcome to share your opinion on the subject with us...
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. totalbeliever

    totalbeliever MDL Junior Member

    Oct 22, 2015
    96
    17
    0
    just what i was thinking
     
  19. CHEF-KOCH

    CHEF-KOCH MDL Addicted

    Jan 7, 2008
    952
    912
    30
    proof.exe has stopped working, no one ever found any backdoor in windows :rolleyes:
     
  20. Joe C

    Joe C MDL Guru

    Jan 12, 2012
    2,667
    1,482
    90
    of course you can't find a backdoor, because they no longer try to hide it

    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/11/microsoft_sued_failing_to_protect_workers/

    The Feds are requiring M$ to track you, and that was in 2008
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...