Numbers not working

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by prdo, Nov 3, 2013.

1. prdo

prdo MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    I have been using windows 7 for couple of day with no problems until installed a capture one software for photos and it messed up my number keys.
    As I press try these on top of the keyboard they act as if shift was held and number lock does not react.
    I tried reinstall of the windows but result is the same.

Would anyone have an idea how to resolve this?

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #2 LatinMcG, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    reset bios defaults.. enable USB Legacy or keyboard support ?

try a different keyboard

make sure u have proper language set on windows

3. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    Try to restore your system. ;)

4. prdo

prdo MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    Tried doing restore but did not help so ended up reinstalling the windows and that did not help either....

5. prdo

prdo MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    I tried connecting another keyboard but it was the same, installed the disk that came with keyboard/mouse and stoill the same.... then tried confirming that the language setting was correct and after cancelling out of that setting screen, I tried again and it worked (?)
    Weird since I did not make any changes to either BIOS or WIN but it works....
    The only difference was installing the Logitec software but then it did not on MS keyboard before as well.... in any case good it works but I hope it is not to change it's mind for some reason soon again :eek:

6. prdo

prdo MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    and just in a case it could be of any use to someone experiencing the same issue in the future, the problem was not with number keys only but really with all non letter keys.

7. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Last time I've seen something like this, it was faulty keyboard....after replacing it, problem gone. It was Toshiba laptop.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    last time i saw this was locale of keyboard was wrong.. or maybe a corruption causing it to think it was a different locale.
    check hdd .. might be corrupting

we know its not keyboard due to a different keyboard same issue.

9. prdo

prdo MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    When installing that photo software I was asked if I wanted to instal the USB driver as well (could be one for connecting the camera) and then it went crazy....
    I also have couple of USB ports on the USB board (one that has 4 ports) not working and I have Device Manager conflict saying that:

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Not sure if the system should run out of resources by adding one USB board or something else is the issue... It is a brand new PC.

10. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    I'm not an expert unlike others here but I had a problem that the keyboard acting strangely and sound not coming from the speakers, I tried almost all method but failed. Then out of curiosity I pressed f8 while the system was booting and selected the start up repair option and it took sometime to finish then I got everything that I lost. Try this wild method if possible and see what happens.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #11 LatinMcG, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    yeah u have 2 vid cards.. onboard usb and other devices.. u have IRQ not available for pci via vt6202
    switch slot or try enabling plug n play os in bios.. or disable somethign not needed in bios.. like comports and parallel port ?
    switch pci slot ?

usb drivers for picture cap ? uhh i dont know if u need that.

try this
    click the start type
    CMD
    right click it .. open file location.. now right click it and run as admin.
    now type
    chkdsk /f
    pres enter then it will say it cant scan disk in use yada yada.. press Y then enter to scan on restart.
    after thats done and u restarted scanned..
    repeat cmd steps and this time type
    sfc /scannow

whats bios version.. motherboard model/ rev