Nvidia ~50% fps drop, going from win10 to 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dreamydreamy, Jan 26, 2020.

1. dreamydreamy

dreamydreamy MDL Junior Member

Dec 25, 2019
    Hey guys im wondering if any of you ran into a similiar problem. In my quest to get away from win 10, i installed windows 8.1 embedded industry pro. I got everything working but my benchmark dx9 fps were about 50%, dx10 and dx11 were capped at 60 fps for some reason, and the direct compute test was at about 50% as well.

My laptop is:
    a coffee lake cpu
    nvidia gtx 16xx turing generation gpu

-I had to use a modified driver for the integrated intel gpu.(Since one was not made for 8.1)
    -And for the nvidia driver i had to add my hardware id to the list in the nvidia installer .inf file, because the setup "could not find compatible hardware" (I had the same problem under win10, i had to add my hw id to the list)

Any help would be appreciated!

2. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Why want you trade cancer with another cancer? Windows 8 is even worse than Windows 10.

Windows 8 has the following problems compared to Windows 10:
    - The Worst memory management (even worse than Windows 7)
    - CPU core scheduler problems
    - I/O management bugs
    - many more which I could list here

Why iGPU if you have a dedicated GPU? You basically cripple the performance / resources for it, it's simply not needed.

You do not need to tweak/mod something if you use Windows 10, it simply works.

3. dreamydreamy

Dec 25, 2019
    Im on a laptop, and as far i know you have to have both drivers installed for the integrated and the dedicated gpu. Is it possible to simply use the dedicated gpu as you would on a desktop? (When i tried installing the nvidia driver, it required the intel driver to be installed)

Dont get me wrong, i like win 10's performance and compatibility, but it comes with a price.

4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @CHEF-KOCH Hello CK good friend, well I may be wrong but the numbers never lie I never say this because I have already made several Benchmarks for example using Sandra my score for W8.1 was always 8.3 and somestimes 8.4 and in W10 it was always 8.1 including me I posted about it a few years ago here on the forum ;):)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    friend 2023 is away:D:p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. dreamydreamy

Dec 25, 2019
  7. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    That's extended support, it's already EOL product. No one should ever use EOL products if there are already superior and better maintained products out there. The only reason why "extended support" exists is that OEMs/partners/bigger corps can make the switch in that time, for Home users (like us) the switch is way easier to make. Dual-boot is also an option for us.

Windows 7 like Linux distros
    • Zorin OS
    • Kubuntu
    • Linux Mint
    • Ubuntu Mate
    • ChaletOS
    • Solus
    I personally use MX Linux 19 „Patito Feo“ right now and I highly recommend it. MX Linux has no or fewer problems with nVidia proprietary drivers, is out-of-the-box really stable and has a huge community.

8. dreamydreamy

Dec 25, 2019
    #10 dreamydreamy, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    (OP)
    @CHEF-KOCH

Talking about linux, i wonder how well the linux nvidia driver performs in relation to win 10. It would be nice if there was a way to compare the performance between the two. Like a side by side test apples to apples comparison.

I wonder would it suffer from low fps like my win 8.1 does.

9. asache

asache MDL Junior Member

Apr 11, 2008
    i wonder what would happend if i say i have 50 % more fps.

10. dreamydreamy

Dec 25, 2019
  11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #15 Yen, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @Yen thanks for the very useful post :)
    Edit: @CHEF-KOCH my friend i already told you that the W8.1 will only end support in 2023 so it's still a long way ;)

14. dreamydreamy

Dec 25, 2019
    #19 dreamydreamy, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    (OP)
    @CHEF-KOCH
    @Yen
    Guys its ok, i dont mind you going off topic. Youve been very hepfull, especially CHEF-KOCH.
    (With me being forced to use a newer os, i appreciate all your suggestions and comments, as at the moment im pretty lost. I was planning/dreaming to run win 7 on my brand new laptop, and thats all fallen apart.)

@CHEF-KOCH
    Thanks for the modded inf, pretty cool github project you got there. My hardware id was actually on your .inf list, unlike official nvidia driver, which left me out in the cold lol.
    Is this modded nv_dispi.inf only for win10 driver, or can i use it for win 8.1 driver as well? Edit: Your modded nv_dispi.inf, doesnt have a section number by each hwid, i take it its not necessary?

@Yen
    Can you recommend a free game, or perhaps even a benchmark that i can run on both linux and windows to actually compare the performance myself? To see the results on my own laptop.
    If i see that i could get similar performance on linux, ill stop worrying that im not getting decent performance out of my brand new hardware. If i knew that i will retain the majority of the performance on linux, id fully switch now and no longer dual boot and finally settle this OS issue of mine.

@Tiger-1
    You seem to really love 8.1, i thought it was either win 10 or win 7. Didnt expect to see anyone into 8.1 :) But then on this forum ive ran accros vista fans, so my perceptions are definitely being challenged haha.

15. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @dreamydreamy well loved it aftet of thinking I definitely retired W8.1 including I even posted something about this, W10 is here to stay ... there is no other alternative when it comes to Windows systems;)