NVIDIA Display driver issues

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by norky, Dec 26, 2011.

1. norky

norky MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2011
    #1 norky, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
    I've recently purchased a private-built PC and hooked it up to my old analog monitor and ever since occasionally the monitor just goes blank for a few seconds then recovers with an error message:

error-blankmonitor.jpg

It's getting to be quite annoying as it now happens at least once or twice a day so I would like to solve this issue. I am using the computer for basic Internet surfing (so nothing display intensive like gaming) and it always happens when I am switching between different tabs or entering text in Firefox.

The new PC has a GeForce GTX 460 graphics card with DVI connectors but since my monitor is analog I am using a simple dvi/vga converter plug. Plus there was an MSI Afterburner software installed to handle clocking I guess - I never touched it but I am not sure what was done by the previous owner. The monitor worked perfectly well with my old HP PC so I assume there's some compatibility issue with the new setup.

I am attaching another screen shot from the NVIDIA Control Panel if this helps explaining the setting better.

Please let me know what could be done to get rid of this annoying blanking out.
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    It is hard to read the settings on your attachment. I'm thinking you are correct in finding the solution in the settings, possibly the refresh rate. Also make sure all cable connections are firmly fastened and are the appropriate for the dvi(digital) to vga(analog) conversion. Post back with any questions or changes.

3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I have also got this message and the same disappearing/appearing of display on a GTX560 with driver 280.26. Has happened twice since I bought this card in early-Nov 2011. No OC but perhaps once perhaps it was on video conversion on a VM.
    Connections are all good.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Good point acrsn. I would only add when installing driver check the box for clean install.

5. norky

norky MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2011
    Thanks acrsn and redroad! :worthy:
    I removed the MSI Afterburner then did a clean install of the new driver after a reboot. Now I am just crossing my fingers that this was the problem and won't show up again. I guess we'll see it soon...

6. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007
    I have never had good luck with Nvidia cards and drivers.
    So I completely stopped using any variation of their products.
    For me their drivers are never up to par and have caused me grief over time.
    Not worth the pain!

7. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I am having the same issue at least once a day. Using too a GTX460. Geforce drivers are 285.62.
    Windows 7 64 bits
    I do not have any overclocking software for the Nvidia in my box.
    I have tried many version drivers, same problem. I use a custom setup for my ASUS display VE247H (24").
    This is annoying and comes at any time when browsing with Firefox 9.01.
    I Googled and found a lot of similar issues.. No solution today.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...