nvidia driver crashes.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jetjock, Jan 13, 2019.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I keep getting intermittent nvidia driver crashes. I have removed all the GeForce software and tried using the newest driver as well one that was a few years old. I'm using 399.07 Win 8-Win7 64 Bit International whql diver now. Still get the same results. Usually happen when I try doing anything quickly i.e. moving the mouse or clicking things in a rapid order. Card is GeForce GTX 660.

I thought about just deleting the nvidia driver completely, but I'm not sure if that would bugger things up even worse. Help please!

jetjock :plane:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    More info on crashes. I went to Event Viewer and looked under "Kernel Event Tracing" and found all of the crashes. They all show: "Session "ReadyBoot" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188" with an event ID of "3".

There were also several "nvlddmkm" errors with an ID of 14:
    "The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video7
    0cb1(15d4) 00000000 00000000

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table"

Don't know if any of this helps. Hope so.

jetjock upload_2019-1-13_11-12-23.gif

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ecsjjgg

ecsjjgg MDL Novice

May 21, 2007
    Why not try DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), to completely remove your display driver in safe mode, and then you reboot to the normal windows, and install the latest driver, itr should then work!

4. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    DDU in Safe Mode as suggested above. With the 660, current driver support might be problematic. I would still try the latest drivers first (a new driver should come Jan 15th). If they don't work, older drivers probably will.

5. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    #5 jetjock, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    (OP)
    Decided to just uninstall the whole driver using Device Manager. Rebooted to VGA driver and then installed the very old (2008) driver (Vista 64 Bit) that came with the card. Did this as I could not remember ever having crashes for years with old drivers. Haven't had a crash since. Will post if anything changes. Thanks!

jetjock upload_2019-1-13_16-31-26.gif

6. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    mechanics and heat 101. get a copy of the movie Primer

which OS is it that says "user error" on the screen?

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #7 LatinMcG, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    turn off fast boot and reset bios jumper.
    but sounds like card chip or ram is going bad.

8. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    23 hours now since installing 10 year old driver...still no crashes. Will post if anything changes, but as of now it looks like nVidia just has a bunch of crappy drivers. Newer is not always better! :)

9. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    I've had that happen before, but to a lesser degree. The lesson I learned is always keep a copy of a video driver distribution that works well. nVidia only goes back six months in their public archive.

10. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Which I found out was not far enough!! :thumbdown: