nvidia ion driver problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by shakennstirred, Sep 28, 2014.

1. shakennstirred

shakennstirred MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2011
    anyone else having a problem with NVidia ion graphics driver in win 8.1
    pc is running fine on the stock windows driver, but on the NVidia driver it just crashes at startup.
    i'd keep using the Microsoft driver if it wasn't for the fact it doesn't go high enough on the screen res for my monitor.
    I have tried going back over lots of there older driver , but its still the same
    pc is a acer revo
    thanks

2. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    "Windows 8.1 Nvidia Driver Issue"

Google this and you'll come up with many results which you can read through and try, lots of possibilities.
    You are not the first, or only, person with this issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. shakennstirred

shakennstirred MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2011
    I did google but must of the problems I was reading are years old, couldn't see any from the last month or two.
    it was fine till about 2 months ago, so thought going back to an older driver would sort it but it hasnt

4. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    #4 bchat, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    I saw that too, just thought something might apply to you. I know I had the issue when Win 8, I think, 1st came out and I had to use an older set of drivers, but you already tried that.

ETA - you might look through some of the older articles, maybe something will be of some help.

The "brains" of the site will be here in a few hours, I'm just the night watchman, I get paid little, I know less.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I've been having problems with the nvidia Ion drivers on my Acer Revo 3600 since Windows 8 was released. :(
    Never found a real solution, but as i'm using a 1080p TV as a monitor the MS drivers have been good enough for me.

Strange that going back to the old drivers didn't work, as Bchat says that normally works :confused:
    A little tip that may help.
    1. Un-install the Ion video card from Device Manager. But don't reboot.
    2. Go to Programs and Features and make sure all Nvidia drivers/software is un-installed.
    3. Go to 'C:\Windows\Inf' and open up the 'oemXX.inf' files with Notepad, until you find the one for the Ion drivers.
    Delete that file and if it has an 'oemXX.pnf' with it delete that file too.
    4. Now reboot.

Then find and install a version of the Ion drivers that worked for before.
    Hopefully that will get you back to a working system. :cool: