nvlddmkm.sys driving me MAD!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Asd12345, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Asd12345

Asd12345 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    I've installed Windows 7 Professional 64bit 2 days ago (I think, I've lost the count) and I keep getting that known error:
    I've checked every result I could find on Google and I only found some fixes for Vista. And seriously, that error exists since '07? God sake.. I hope you guys here can help me.

2. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Well i used to get that on my old system quite abit and learned that my Video card was dying on me.. another possible reason is the drivers you have installed are acting up.. try completely uninstalling them and install using the most updated

3. Asd12345

Asd12345 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    That's what I did, I use the latest WHQL(?) certified drivers from nvidia. I downloaded them 2 days ago. Also I tried reinstalling them. If my video card is dying I'm probably gonna cry. I worked all summer to get my pc and I am not able to get any more money until I get out of army, that will be in 3 years. And that's a huge loss for me as a gamer!! :'( I'm trying not to believe it, it was working 3-4 days ago before format :S

4. Asd12345

Asd12345 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #5 Asd12345, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    I am pretty sure it's 64bit, the setup's filename is:
    Code:
    258.96_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_international_whql
    Anyway, I'll try your suggestion but I doubt it will work as it cannot load any previous files when I haven't installed any previous driver in this Windows installation.

5. Asd12345

Asd12345 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    As I thought.. it didn't work.. and I tried safe mode too (for sweeper).... :@

6. Asd12345

Asd12345 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks, I'll try your suggestions. I have another quick question, I'm gonna upgrade my 2GB ram to 4GB ram, will 32bit OS support and use all 4GBs or should I go 64bit?

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No 32bit won't use all of your 4Gb of ram never has done since XP.

8. Asd12345

Asd12345 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #10 Asd12345, Sep 12, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks urie, btw I have done absolutely nothing about the driver crashing problem since yesterday and today I have been on pc for several hours without any crashes :S

Great, I said my word, it just crashed.

9. Asd12345

Asd12345 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Well, I tried the newer drivers but they didn't help out.. anyone other ideas?

10. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Could be its getting hot....... just throwing that out there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Uninstall all the drivers you current have and let windows update find you its version - now see if you get the same issues with that version, if so then its your hardware or just could be a driver crashing...

Let us know

12. Asd12345

Asd12345 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    What do you mean? -.- That's my problem.

13. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Have any other Video cards around you can swap in to test if it fails also?

14. Asd12345

Asd12345 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Nope, I don't have any other card. I've installed some drivers from guru3d and I got less frequent crashes (like 3/day instead of 1-2/hour) and now I'm trying the new beta drivers released in Nvidia's website. Let's see how it goes. Also, what temperatures are normal when doing usual tasks (internet browsing, IM and music) and what for 3D Games (specifically Bad Company 2, Starcraft 2), so I can take a look at them.

15. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Remove/uninstall all the nvidia drivers, restart windows and windows will install its own version (Basic) and then run windows update you should be offered an updated version install this and then report back if you get the same issues... I had problems with my screen flickering which the drivers i downloaded from Nvidia's site, but i do not get any issues with the windows drivers for the same card.

try

16. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Temperatures generally shouldn't get above 70C in my opinion, but some can run as hot as 120C before problems appear. My wifes new lappy would start buzzing and the screen would just go blue. I messed with it for 2 days, took a hunch and went and got one of those fans that sit under the laptop and hasn't happened since.......... odd really, I haven't tweaked her pute or anything, you would think a new one would stay cool enough with its own internal fan.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    People seem to be buying laptop computers even though they don't take them anywhere, laptops are not designed for contant on operation. A lot of the fan intakes are on the bottom of the laptop which get blocked when you put them on a table. Even if the fans go from the sides and back, most of the heat comes off the bottom of the laptop. Computers are really only designed to operate at room temperature, so thats how they're made. The term 'room temperature' doesn't mean just the temperature that any room is at, its around 22C (22 degrees celsius, approximately 72F).

It has been claimed online that temperatures don't affect the lifespan of hard drives, but I completely disagree, I believe in keeping both laptop and desktop drives as cool as possible. I've seen several laptops that have had their drives fail when the laptop is used in a 'hot' way. The laptops had little circulation around the air vents, and were occasionally used in hotter environments where the rooms were 35C (in summer you get used to it, you don't actually notice it!), or even outside on tables where the air temperature is 45C+. Desktops seem to handle it better since the airflow is good regardless (in general), so if the room temp is 35C the HDD's may run at 40C which is fine. A laptop, having all the heat from the graphics, cpu, batter etc not dissipating too well, soaks up all that heat and they end up getting way hotter. HDD's are based on principal of extremely fine tolerances in distance etc, particularly when you consider the size of today's drives. Heat causes metal to expand, which affect these tolerances, not to mention other heat related degredation. Another consideration is heat affects magnetism :S.

Anyways, in terms of your graphics, use driver sweeper, and try installing one of the later drivers from the website I mentioned earlier. Also run from the command prompt sfc /scannow
    For those keeping tabs, I have mentioned that quite a lot recently :) mainly because you can almost be certain it could find errors, and some of these anomalies may not make sense unless you delve in to the code. Its worth a try! :)