O.E contacts recovery??

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by DFIman, Feb 20, 2010.

1. DFIman

DFIman MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2009
    I have a machine running a legal copy XP prof. that crashed due to a power failure. I've tried almost every trick I can think of to rebuild the install. Inserting the XP CD in an attempt to reinstall over the old install results in a BSOD (Bad_Pool_Caller). I would have no problem just dumping the thing and do a clean install if it weren't for my Outlook Express contacts and e-mail settings. Since I can't get into windows, I can't just export a .wab or .csv file. I can't access or export my e-mail settings (.iaf) either.

I tried to find info on this, but have come up blank. How/where is the RAW data stored in O.E. and in WAB? I was hoping to dig up a file or folder to just copy it off, then dump the drive.

I have sector-checked the drive and it read-tests good. I connected it to another XP machine and ran chkdsk, it comes up clean. Any input/help appreciated!

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    D:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{090C7BF5-33F2-45AE-9990-12E40C01E248}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Ofcourse the identity number WILL be different

C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\user_name.wab

And after you have them, do not use OE ever again, this rubbish program should ahve never been included in any version of Windows
    If you must please try to keep backups

sebus

3. DFIman

DFIman MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2009
    Thanks. Will give it a try.

Amen on that about OE! I plan to go with Thunderbird, so I can dual-boot XP and Ubuntu...

When I get tired of XP, off it goes...