Odd HD partition Error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rimmi2002, Oct 19, 2010.

1. rimmi2002

rimmi2002 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2010
    #1 rimmi2002, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
    Last night I was installing Win 7 to a 50gb partition of a 1.5 GB Seagate HD. I wanted to format the 50GB parition, but accidentally hit delete in Win7 Install menu. It deleted the paritition. Then I clicked the new button from the Win 7 installation menu and it made a new paritition and said it had to create another paritition for system files. I had no choice but to say yes and I did say yes. Had two paritions (100 mb and 48.0 GB) Installation went on as planned. Then after all the whole install was complete, when I tried to boot, after the bios page, I just saw a blinking "_" on a black screen. There was no CPU activity. No errors. The system just hanged there. Nothing else happens. After this I booted back into my XP install.

Ran Partition magic to see whats going on with the new parittions. It gave me a few errors on the two new partitions. Then it showed the whole 1.5 TB drive as being "BAD" I cannot change settings on any individual parition. The odd thing is that all the partitions still show up fine in Windows explorer. I was able to format the 100 mb parition, but am not even able to format the 48.0 GB partition that the new parition is made out of.

Luckily all my data is still there. Though can someone make sense as to what happened here? I have a feeling something got changed in the MBR of the drive. Is there a way to repair this? Or would I have to dump everything off the drive and reformat it again. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...