OEM and real OEM Computer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Gryzor, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Gryzor

Gryzor MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2008
    Hi folks

After reading this board I'm getting confuse: From what I understnd Bios moding allow to install an OEM vista activated on a computer that is not from the Manufacturer.

Now what If I have a real Lenovo with a bios from Lenovo on a pc that came with XP installed, I just have top make my own Lenovo Vista OEM DVD to I be able to install vista without a product Key and have it running :eek: ?

2. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    In order to activate Vista using the OEM SLP channel, you need 3 things.
    1. SLIC table in your BIOS--BIOS can be modded to include any SLIC of your choice
    2. Digital certificate---Must match the SLIC table
    3. Appropriate product key for the edition you have installed---You can use any OEM key.
    On machines that came preinstalled with XP will most likely will not contain a SLIC table. I have read reports where some did. You can check if you have the SLIC table in your BIOS by using ACPIScope.

3. Gryzor

Gryzor MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2008
    Thank you regina for your anwser.I will be ACPIScoping later tomorrow but allow me to ask a follow up:

I currently have a Lenovo X60 (that came with XP), the X60 is known to have been also sold with Vista and therefor the latest Original bios must have a SLIC table.
    Right?

Are the Key that you find on the striker at the back of laptop the OEM Key we are talking about or are they yet something different and unrelated.

(I know there are post with oem Keys posted)

many thanks

4. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    Unknown. Only sure way is to use ACPIScope.
    Keys printed on the sticker are most likely OEM-COA keys. Preinstalled Vista uses a different key internally. These are the OEM-SLP keys that are posted.

5. Gryzor

Gryzor MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2008
    Thank you, Got it now