oem bios changer causing bootloop!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by kewljay223, Jan 10, 2013.

1. kewljay223

kewljay223 MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2011
    hey everyone. i hope this isnt posted in the wrong place. if so im sorry and mods can move. i am having a hell of a time getting this laptop to get xp up n running. ive been working on it for the past week when i can and im almost bald now.... lol it has had vista(original) then xp, then 7 64bit. i need xp 32 for a program that is basically what this lappy will be mostly used for. so put the cd in and it couldnt find the hard drive....SATA.... so i slipstreamed a cd and it still didnt find it. aparantly it needed raid drivers also....still dont know why tho. theres two hard drives but raid isnt even an option in the bios... anyway, got it installed and had a lot of other issues with drivers but thats enough about the background (little venting)

now my problem is as the subject states, every time i try to run the changer, it installs the files and upon starting (windows screen then desktop) before the desktop get fully loaded it just reboots and cycles. this is a fujitsu lifebook. i ran the bios test, wrote down the numbers, and went to the download page. there are 3 files. 2 of them had matching numbers. so i picked the one that matched the .CAT first. ran it and thats when i had the first reboot problem. so i reinstalled xp. then i tried the second matching file, NUMBERS-pc and it did the same thing. so i am reinstalling for the third time as i typing this and i dont know anything else to do but try the third NON MATCHING file. if it doesnt work then i will reinstall once more but then i dont know what to do after that... is there something im doing wrong? ive done this on several other comps both xp and 7 installs including my personal custom built dual boot xp-32/7-64 on a UEFI mobo (that was a b*%#!!!!!!) and have never a this bootloop issue let alone any issue with the bios changer. is there something im missing here? im a rookie when it comes to this but ive been lurking and learning for a while now and i know the basics of this stuff. this is my first post but thats because i search and try until i figure it out. but the forum search and google arent giving me any answers. if i missed a thread i apologize but dont give me the search here "google" link cuz i have. lol!!! hope someone knows. ill give you any more info you need. thanks alot!

2. kewljay223

kewljay223 MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2011
    ok. just tried the third file. didnt work. something just hit me tho. the archive dowload page has changed since the last time i was there. there used to be compressed and uncompressed files. ive always used the uncompressed like suggested. but now all the files are on skydrive and there is no option for the two... what are the files? uncompressed or compressed? to be honest idk what the difference is but could this be thr problem? anyway, i am at a loss now and dont know what to do next. i am reinstalling for the 4th time just to get xp on the comp. but it just wont be genuine. am i gonna have to live with this? can someone shed some light?

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  4. kewljay223

kewljay223 MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2011
    thank you urie for your reply. i opologize for the paragraph. i was just frustrated and needed to get it out and i guess i just ended up rambling on. lol anyway just want to let you know that my hunch about the compressed or uncompressed files was the culprit and your short explanation of the differences in the file extension made me see it.

the downloaded files were COMPRESSED. i.e .BI_ ive always used the uncompressed as was recomended prior to the update to the oembios archive and i didnt realize i was downloading the compressed version. so i was putting them in the uncompressed folder and the changer tool kept telling me to check the files were in the correct foler... i failed to mention that because after it told me that, i changed the underscore in the extensions to the correct letter which then let the changer run....MY BAD!!!! NOW I FEEL LIKE A FOOL. i shoulda seen that.

anyway, i put them in the compressed folder, ran the tool, uncompressed them, then installed them and VIOALA!!!! NO MORE BOOTLOOP AND GENUINE STATUS ACHIEVED!!!! so thank you again for clearing that up for me and i opologize for starting this useless thread... unless someone else makes this mistake and comes across this... lol

so consider this question sloved and it may now be closed. thanks for everyones help on this forum. you all are awesome. keep up the great work!!

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007